• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Broadstone Warren

Started by Carole, Jan 30, 2009, 18:21:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

Doug, Rose and myself went down to Broadstone Warren today to give it a day time rekki.

The site itself is fabulous for a nature weekend.

Doug has done a DVD which I will show at the next committee meeting or earlier if I see any-one. 

There is only one field we can possibly use for astronomy and it does have trees around the perimeter.  I would say it was something like High Elms, or maybe less good.  You would not be able to view/imaging anything below about 25 degrees altitude, but then does any-one normally do this anyway?

Behind this field is the lodging and a hall we could hire to lock up our equipment over night.  There are 3  x 60W lights on this building which they said could be turned off depending on whether any-one else is using the lodgings.  Otherwise I think that the area would be VERY dark.

The lodgings are good, with toilets and hot showers (not en suite) and there is a kitchen where you can cook (all equipment provided) and what looks like a lounge, all adjacent to the field.  Pair of bunk beds in each room and some low heating.  (Mattresses provided but bring your own bedding) There is another lodge with 2 sets of bunk beds away from the field (which is much cheaper) with only a sink and cold water, plus you get cooker and gas provided, ? no heating. 

However, you cannot pitch tents on this field, tents would have to be pitched behind the swimming pool or behind the cheaper lodge.  Neither that far away, but not next to where we would be putting up the equipment, however no reason why you could not put seats by the equipment or sit in either the hall or ?lounge next to it.  There is a sink and water for washing up if you are camping and toilet and shower blocks.

I wonder whether it might be better for every-one to book the lodges (and have a bit of comfort for a change) and be close to the equipment, otherwise things are going to get a bit disjointed, but I wonder whether this might take away some of the fun of DSC by not being in tents and some people might get withdrawal symptoms.

The "viewing field" itself was rather boggy today, but then possibly anywhere would be at this time.  The remainder of the walk ways and the internal roadways where you would drive were not too bad, although much of the rest of the site is only suitable for 4 wheel drive.

In summary I am therefore a bit unsure whether this is going to be suitable:

Trees around perimeter
Position of tents away from observing area
Lights could be off, how bright are 60W bulbs?  (Might need to see this at night)

I wonder whether we could just book this as a one off and see what we think. We might have a fun weekend regardless of whether we manage to do any satisfactory astronomy.

Needs discussion at the next committee meeting/showing of DVD.

Will try to post some still pictures I took today before my batteries went flat.

Carole

Carole

Photo of the field, with the lodgings to the right.
I am taking the photo standing with my back the the trees immediately behind me (to give you some idea of the size of the field).

Carole

doug

Carole did most of the stomping about, including walking up a long and dirty track (your Jeep would have been okay, Fay) as you can see as the last shot on the mini-DVD like wot I shot.  We can only leave the decisions to the Peeble-in-Charge to decide what`s best for the Campers and enthusiasts, but it was an enjoyable day out in the country.  A lovely site; they even have an air-rifle range, Tony!!!!!!!  It needs to be looked at in the dark to judge the light pollution values, though. 8)

Always look on the bright side of life ...

Whitters

Carole

I was concerned about not being able to camp next to the telescopes.  (We can sleep in the lodgings next to them but that's dearer).

Also no 100% guarantee we can have the 60W lights off.

Would like some further comments before the next committee meeting please. 

Thanks

Carole