• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - February 20th 2009

Started by Mike, Jan 30, 2009, 08:54:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Guys... WE HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE !!!

Last time, the only light that was even close to being intrusive was a tiny light on the toilet block, but although it could be seen it was not a nuisance at all.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

I have prices if anyone is interested.

Don't know if the society would get a discount.
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mac

QuoteI have prices if anyone is interested.

Do tell old chap. 8)

I'm assuming the prices are probably in the same region as what we currently pay, give or take a quid.

mickw

As Mike said, the society has been there before.

I tried looking on google earth, but couldn't see if it's aheep shit and quicksand free  :(

For the facilities there, this has got to be a bargain.....................

TENTERDEN ROAD, BIDDENDEN, KENT TN27 8BT
TEL/FAX: +44 (0) 1580 291216
E-mail: info@campingsite.co.uk
RESIDENTIAL PARK HOMES
LEISURE HOMES & TOURIST PARK

Situated in the heart of the beautiful Kent countryside, Woodlands offers quiet and tranquil environment to enjoy your holiday. Our central location makes us an ideal base for visiting the many historic Castles, such as Leeds Castle, Hever Castle and the famous Sissinghurst Castle and gardens only 5 minutes drive away, many other attractions throughout Kent and East Sussex are all within easy reach.
Country drives or bike rides through the many quaint villages in the area are also a must, perhaps taking in a glass of our local Biddenden Wine or enjoying a Cream Tea at one of the many tearooms in the area.                                         
The park is a large open level grassland, having hedging to the perimeter offering some shade in the summer months. We have two ponds where a couple of quiet hours can be spent enjoying a spot of fishing.                                           
We have electric hook-ups (advisable to pre-booked), and a modern toilet and shower block facility which has been awarded 'Loo of Years Awards' during the last few years. There is also a children's play area, however the children can soon be worn out as our large field allows space for children to enjoy a game of rounders, football etc. keeping them occupied while you lay back and enjoy your holiday.                                                                                                 
We operate a small site shop where all essential items can be purchased from camping gas to a bottle of milk. Our friendly staff are on hand to answer any questions on the area and to provide tourist information on local attractions.                       
Why not complete the on-line information request form and allow us to send you more details along with our price list. Even if you have your main holiday booked we are a perfect spot to enjoy a weekend away or a short break, we are definitely worth a visit.

WOODLANDS  PARK  TARRIFF  2008
                                                                                                 Low  Season                   High Season
Small Tent  ( Hiker / Biker / Cyclist )                                              £ 5  -  00                     £ 6 - 00
Tent / Caravan / Car / Motor Home  + Two people                         £ 12 - 00                     £ 14- 00
Electric  Hook – up                                                                         £ 2 -  50                       £ 2 - 50 
Extra Adult ( Fourteen Plus )                                                           £ 2 -  50                       £ 3 - 00
Extra Child ( Five - Thirteen )                                                          £ 2 -  00                       £ 2 - 50
Extra Car Or Small Tent                                                                   £ 1 - 50                       £ 1 - 50

Discount : Book 7 CONSECUTIVE nights or more in one booking and receive a 10 % discount   
                                                OFFER  EXCLUDES  BANK  HOLIDAYS   
                         HIGH SEASON  – ALL BANK HOLIDAYS -  JULY AND AUGUST
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

In other words it will be more expensive per person than Tuesnoad, but then you do get proper showers and toilets and with electric hookups you can bring a heater too !!!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

From one of the reviews.
QuoteWe did not use electric hook up but that area did seem a bit crowded so I would advise booking if you want electric hook up.
:-?

Too whoever's been there before,
Are all the electric pick up points near the middle?
or are there some nearer the edge.

as we dont realy want to be in the middle of loads of people,
Only for the sake of the equipment safety.
If not then the equipment will probably have to be put away during the night,
which might be seen as being noisy?

Looks good though.
Looking at the google map, the bottom right hand corner of the field looks the best bet, as
it seems the furthest point from the rest of the site.

If there are no electric points at the edges, then we might be able to get away with the
Genny at this location, with the extra sound proofing,
Mac

Mike

Last time we went to the bottom right corner of the field and it was a good spot. If I remember rightly the hookups were in the middle. I do have a very long hook-up cable plus extension so if there is one not too far away we might be able to use it. If anyone else has a hook-up extension cable too we could extend it further still.

I'm happy to use my batteries as normally personally.

Jim

Mike

Sounds nice, might just tempt me back to DSC.  Do we all need to book individually?

RobertM

I have a 30m mains extension lead if that helps (13A plug/socket type)...

Fay

We could make a kind of wagon train ring with cars instead of wagons, to protect our equipment

Ian

are you expecting a Cherokee raiding party then, Fay?

Mind you, we can do that scene from Blazing Saddles. You know, the one that Paul keeps quoting from after his garlic beans...

Fay

Paul could be the star of the show & do his party piece!

Rocket Pooch

If Jim comes back I'll get no sleep again with his snoring, mind you he does inform me that he has found a cure.

Anyway, the most important thing about this site is you can get to the local put and get back easily.....

We did stay at the bottom right last time it was fine but the nearest lekki is about 150 meters away I think.

But I would still rather go here than the other place the thought of a decent shower block is worth the extra £9 alone.