• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Australia day time-lapse Mount Kosciusko

Started by A.S.I.G.N_Baz, Jan 26, 2009, 05:13:40

Previous topic - Next topic

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Hi all. I am back from the trip up to the rooftop of Australia.

It was a perfect night, camped under the stars on the summit of Mount Kosciusko. The temp was nice, the sky was crystal clear and DARK! I saw Andromeda naked-eye for the first time in my life.

I got no sleep, but about 600-odd frames from 10:40pm to about 5:20am this morning, AUSTRALIA DAY.

Myself and two friends were alone up there all night. About thre-ish this morning, I noticed lights in groups coming up through the valley from Charlottes Pass. Several people turned up with their LED lights blaring just before dawn, at which point I shot down the path to greet them and ask as nicely as I could, if they could please turn them off and move to the side of my feild of view. They were all very nice about it. I even got to point out what I think was the international space station passing to the south. Man it was bright! Caught heaps of meteorites all night too.

As the dawn cracked over the horizon through smoke from distant fires, someone started singing, "Advance Australia Fair" at which point others joined in. It was an iconic moment. Others turned up later with a big Australian flag and waved it around.

After 18 kilometers on foot with 30 kilograms worth of camera and computer, food, water etc, I am home and absolutely STUFFED, with sore shoulders, legs and big blisters on my feet. IT WAS WORTH IT!

I am now going to sleep before even attempting to put the frames together in the time-lapse. Stay tuned!

Until then, good-ni..........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

JohnP

Wow - Sounds like you had a great time & judging by the last image you posted you have some fantastic shots. I can't wait to see results. Grey & raining here.. (just for a change) Thks for sharing,  John

RobertM

Sounds like you had a wonderful time Baz and I'm really looking forward to seeing that time lapse!

Carole

Green with envy.
What is that strange pink blob in the sky in the first picture, is it a reflection?

Carole

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Quote from: Carolepope on Jan 26, 2009, 09:51:24
Green with envy.
What is that strange pink blob in the sky in the first picture, is it a reflection?

Carole
Thanks all, working on it now. Yes, its a lense flare Carole.

Baz

Mac

QuoteWhat is that strange pink blob in the sky in the first picture

Carol, thats called the sun, from the uk, it is a very very rare sight,

If it ever stops raining, and those grey clouds disapear, then we might get a view. ;)

Mike

Quote from: Carolepope on Jan 26, 2009, 09:51:24What is that strange pink blob in the sky in the first picture, is it a reflection?

It's one of those Bolivian Bowler Hats.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Up again till 4:30 this morning processing. I hate premiere elements.....

Sooooooo tired....

Here it is. Finished zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz

http://www.asignobservatory.com/widefield_and_time-lapse.aspx

RobertM

Fantastic stuff Baz !  You really have some amazing skies and sights down there. 

Carole

I saw this Mountain whilst travelling from East Gippsland to Melbourne.  Nice to see the views from the top. 

Love the milky way image.

Carole

Tony G

Baz,

Great images and a fantastic time-lapse, but I did noticed in some of the images, that you to are a little prone to orange skies, (but without the cloud base)  ;)

Keep them coming.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson