• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging session Jan 2009

Started by Carole, Jan 23, 2009, 23:05:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

QuoteBefore I go buying filter sets, I do have a LP filter which is labelled Ultrablock TM Narrowband 1.25".  When I use this everything appears green.

Carole, it appears green because it's a filter for enhancing contrast of nebulas (OIII predominantly).  More importantly it's designed for visual use and has no IR block, this makes it bad for most CCD work.

Rocket Pooch

When I started doing LRGB I used some meade planetary filters, they worked, although not as well as proper ones, but they were about £10.

Mike

Quote from: RobertM on Jan 26, 2009, 08:53:07.....More importantly it's designed for visual use and has no IR block, this makes it bad for most CCD work.

That is a valid point Carole. tghere are visiaul filters and imaging filters, both are different and designed for different purposes as the eye and a CCD camera are both sensitive to different wavelengths. The eye cannot see IR and so IR blockers are not included in visual filters. However, CCD's are very sensitive to IR and to a degree ultraviolet too and these are usually blocked out by imaging filters.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

Quote from: Space Dog on Jan 26, 2009, 09:15:42
When I started doing LRGB I used some meade planetary filters, they worked, although not as well as proper ones, but they were about £10.

I was thinking about making a mistake at the other end of the scale...

Would you recommend that set Chris?

Carole

Thanks every-one, so based on recent advice, it looks like I need a set of LRGB filters (which block also out IR).  
QuoteInsert Quote
thanks Chris, but I think I'll go for the proper ones while I am at it.
QuoteI would explore the possibility of buying a dedicated mono camera rather than getting your webcam modified for mono.
OK I'll look into that, but won't I also need a camera for guiding and my current camera does not show stars, so will have to get two anyway.

Carole

Mike

If your current camera does not show stars what are you going to use it for?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

QuoteIf your current camera does not show stars what are you going to use it for?
Exactly, that's why I was going to get it modified.  However was unhappy about having to lose the colour aspect, which was why I wanted to get LRGB filters.

Once modified I can then use it for my main camera or the guide scope, which do you think it would be best for?

Carole

Ian

Quote from: Carolepope on Jan 26, 2009, 09:46:50
OK I'll look into that, but won't I also need a camera for guiding and my current camera does not show stars, so will have to get two anyway.

Using a modified mono webcam as a guide camera is an idea, it's what I do (did, I suppose, as I haven't imaged in a while) and I think just about the only justification now for doing the mod. That said, keeping an eye on astrobuysell for second hand cameras you might be able to pick up a bargain guide cam if you're patient. Just bear in mind, you don't need to guide to do deep sky, it's just the list of potential targets is a bit short.

When you mention getting your webcam modified, is it already modded for long exposure, or will it need that as well?

Carole

QuoteWhen you mention getting your webcam modified, is it already modded for long exposure, or will it need that as well?
Duh, dunno!

I have left a message on Bernard's answerphone (Modern Astronomy) as he sold me the camera so will know what it can do. 
Just had a nervous breakdown looking at the prices of some of the DS cameras on the web!!!!!
............ Interruption mid post.
Bernard has just rung me back.

Think I might have to bite the bullett and buy the whole kit, new scope and mount the lot!!!

He has recommended the following, just wondered what your thoughts are:

Sky-Watcher Equinox - from £239
http://www.modernastronomy.com/telescopes_swRefractors.htm

Camera
http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasQHY.htm#qhy8
QHY6 - from £339

+ HEQ5 Syntrax GOTO mount £699

Plus Guide camera QHY5 £159
CCD camera QHY6 £339

Total £1406 without the filters
Ouch!!

Carole

Mike

Seems a fair price for that lot of goodies.

Ian

I reckon Bern has called out the elephant in the room. However, I don't think you need to buy all that in one go, but you might want to consider spending that over time as you improve.

What's your budget?

Carole

QuoteI reckon Bern has called out the elephant in the room
Sorry don't know that expression.  Do you mean he's doing a saleman job on me?

My budget.  Actually Ian I do have the money to buy it all, I was just trying to get a bit at a time rather than dip into my retirement savings, so I could save up and pay for it as I go along.  But I don't really mind buying it all in one go (so long as I can actually learn to use it all OK).

I was really wanting to know if you guys approved of the scope and cameras he has recommended.  The Mount seems to be the biggest expense but I do remember Mike saying you should buy the best you can afford.

There is a better camera for another £200 I was wondering whether while I am spending all that money if I should get a better one.  It is the QHY6 Pro also on http://www.modernastronomy.com/camerasQHY.htm#qhy8

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to spend all that money and then find I should have bought something else.

Would appreciate it if you could look at the specifications on the next Post:

Many thanks
Carole

Carole

to save you having to go into the site

The scope
Sky-Watcher Equinox - from £239

Highest Practical Power (Potential): x198
Objective Lens Diameter: 65mm, 80mm, 100mm and 120mm
Telescope Focal Length: 400mm (f/6), 600mm (f/6.25), 900mm (f/9) and 900mm (f7.5)
Supplied without Eyepieces, Finderscope and Star Diagonal
Dual-Speed 11:1 Backlash-Free 1.25" Crayford Focuser with adjustable focus-tension & 360 Rotatable
Retractable Dewshield (with aluminium cap)
Multi-Coated Objective Lens
Standard 1/4-20 Tripod Bush (will accept Sky-Watcher dovetail bars)
Foam-lined Aluminium Carrying/Storage case

The cheaper camera
QHY6 - from £339

Low cost, high quality camera from QHY with a highly sensitive Sony EX-View chip.

Total pixel: 795x596
Active pixels:752x582 (440k pixels)
Pixel Size: 6.5µm x 6.25µm square
TYPIC 1/3 inch
Mono Exview High sensitive CCD
Readout noise: 7 -10 e @600 Kpixel/s
QE: 65% at 580nm
Microlensing on chip
ABG: -115dB
Low noise 16bit ADC with CDS and Preamp
USB2.0 High Speed interface
Built in 6pin Guide Port
One stage TEC cooled

Camera package includes 1.25" nosepiece, 3m USB2 cable. Price includes delivery and VAT.

Software available includes Windows driver and capture application (2K, XP & Vista), Plugins for Maxim, AstroArt & Guidemaster.

The Dearer Camera
NEW! QHY6 Pro - from £589

New Camera with large sensitive pixels and a 1/2 inch Sony ExView chip

Total pixel: 795x596
Active pixels: 752x585 440kpixels
Pixel Size: 8.6µm x 8.3µm
Typic 1/2inch Exview CCD sensor ICX429AL
Readout noise: 6-8e @600 Kpixel/s
Preview Speed: 5Mpixel/s
Peak QE: 68% @620nm 62% @Ha
Microlensing on chip
ABG: -126dB
16bit ADC with CDS and Preamp
USB2.0 High Speed interface
2-Stage TEC cooling
DC102 DC adapter & TEC Controller Supported

Camera package includes 1.25" nosepiece, 3m USB2 cable. Price includes delivery and VAT.

Software available includes Windows driver and capture application (2K, XP & Vista), Plugins for Maxim, AstroArt & Guidemaster.

Carole

Tony G

Carole,

Now you have the prices and the details of all the equipment you are after, you could now go with cash in hand and see what deals you can do at Astrofest. If you cannot beat those prices, you can always go back to Bern the next day or so.

Good Luck

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Carole

QuoteNow you have the prices and the details of all the equipment you are after, you could now go with cash in hand and see what deals you can do at Astrofest. If you cannot beat those prices, you can always go back to Bern the next day or so.
Yes, I was thinking that too, but it's the specifications I need advice on from people more experienced as I don't want to buy the wrong thing or miss a better option.

Carole