• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

'Meteor' streaks across Sweden

Started by Rick, Jan 19, 2009, 12:55:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick

Footage shows what appears to be a meteor streaking across the night sky in southern Sweden on Saturday.

Video report: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7836656.stm

Mike

I wonder what exactly those people thought the Emergency Services were going to do about it?  :o

Impressive! Still not as good as the fireball we saw at DSC a few years back though.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

QuoteStill not as good as the fireball we saw at DSC a few years back though.

RU serious.... :-( I must have missed that DSC.. That looks seriously big & bright on the video... shadows & all...

Mike

It was seriously bright. About 3-4 years back at Penny's Field. The whole field lit up as if a large chunk of magnesium had been lit. Shadows of ourselves and the tents could be seen stretching across the field. I just wish i'd got some video of it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan