• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Rosette Nebula

Started by A.S.I.G.N_Baz, Jan 17, 2009, 16:53:55

Previous topic - Next topic

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

10 x 8 minute subs, guided. Darks subtracted. (Stuffed my flats)
Orion Starshoot Pro DSI
Skywatcher ED 120 Prime focus F7.5
Stacked and processed with MaxIm and Photoshop elements with Noels actions.
Baz.

MarkS

That's a detailed image Baz.  Very interesting colouring!

Mark

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Quote from: MarkS on Jan 17, 2009, 19:50:24

That's a detailed image Baz.  Very interesting colouring!

Mark

Yes Mark, I agree....."interesting" isn't quite the word for the colour. More like, "Annoying."

The red channel has really been annoying me in MaxIm.
Now Re-processed in Deep Sky Stacker with a lot more time spent on it. Much happier now with the result.

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

I got another 2 hours worth of exposure on it last night and added them to the 80 minutes.

A bit more natural and smooth I think.

RobertM

Very nice Baz, it's coming along very well indeed.

JohnP

Baz,

That is comming along nicely although colours still look a bit off - looking a bit too orange now... What I normally do when trying out different colour balances is to select levels & then the middle (grey point) then just move over the image clicking in different places & it will auto balance the colours for you based on the place you click.. try it it takes secs to do...

You probably already know it anyway...

Great image - John

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Quote from: JohnP on Jan 20, 2009, 10:58:56
Baz,

That is comming along nicely although colours still look a bit off - looking a bit too orange now... What I normally do when trying out different colour balances is to select levels & then the middle (grey point) then just move over the image clicking in different places & it will auto balance the colours for you based on the place you click.. try it it takes secs to do...

You probably already know it anyway...

Great image - John

Actually John, I haven't the slightest idea what I am doing with processing. I know plenty about setup, alignment and capture, Nothing about processing. I just push sliders around and see what happens. There is no plan because I don't understand 'gorithms and all that gobbledygook. Quite frankly, it is hard to understand what people are advising me to do when I can't be shown "How" with the editing programs I have.

I will go see if I can go and do what you just said. Thanks mate.

Baz.

JohnP

Baz - do you use Photoshop for post processing - It's very easy to do. I took the liberty of taking your image & just clicking in a few places (I hope you don't mind) - I was thinking of something like below.... everybody else probably prefers your orange one though...? John

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Thanks again John, I think I found the right thingy.... :-?

Here are another couple of attempts.

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Gday again guys. I think it's finally done!

An experienced astrophotographer and friend of mine here in Canberra, SteveC gave me a good portion of his day today, to teach me some of the finer points of processing. My problem was mainly the color balance functions of the editing programs, of which I was fairly ignorant.

I am still working out some issues with flats, so these dont have flats applied, but I am so much happier with the result anyway.

My plethora of TECHNICOLOR Rosettes, my almost BLACK Carina and my AWFUL RED AND YELLOW Horsehead, with the new techniques applied, have all turned out much more natural looking.

Take a look toward the bottom of my page at the second gallery. Thanks Steve!

http://www.asignobservatory.com/astrophotography/image_gallery/nebulae.aspx