• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M42 Canon 240 sec subs cls filter ZS66

Started by Fay, Jan 04, 2009, 20:41:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I did a lot of different subs with this one but could not get on with them, at the moment. Just used about 25x 240. I lost an hour's worth of subs due to cap being on. A bit sad up against yours, Daniel, but I will get there.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

It's looking really promissing Fay but you have a fair amount of bloat on the brighter stars.

I'm having trouble keeping up with everything that's going on today, image fest or what!

Fay

JohnP

Hi Fay, Not too bad. Did you use your FR - I am guessing you didn't... - it looks like you have some sort of curvature effects - also there is quite a marked N-S gradient. The colours & FOV are nice though. Maybe you can reprocess data & perhaps underprocess some of the subs & then mask layer combine to reduce core burnout.

Looks promising though,  John

RobertM

If you're using RGB (effectively what CLS is) then it's fair to expect star bloat but I'm surprised there is so much.  Are you sure there was no dew/ice on the optics?

Fay

I did not use the FR as I cannot use the CLS filter & FR with the ZS66. There was too much light without it. I knew that the image could be heavily cropped. 

I probably over processed anyway.
There was no dew on the zs66

Mike

Fay I think you have stacked some misaligned data too as you have lots of double stars top left all aligned the same direction.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Back to the drawing board, I think, Mike

Mike

It's weird it's only in that top left corner though. I would have expected it across the whole image. it is almost like there are images of different resolutions being stacked.

Still, lovely image all the same.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I may have put some 60 secs in there, which would explain it. I was too busy to remember, but will do it again. At least the subs are there to do again

Daniel

Hi Fay, image is lovely, you've captured some great faint nebulosity between M42 and Running man (that's my favourite bit) you've got the deep space noise blurry noise problem Im always fighting with, only way around it is more subs and shooting on a clearer night.

I agree with John, the FOV is just right

Daniel
:O)

Fay

Thanks Daniel. Yes I did not do enough subs, although I started off planning to do about 40,  & the seeing was not that good. Worth having another try.

When you combined your 2 images, Daniel, did you fully process the shorter one to match the prime in brightness etc before blurring?

Daniel

Hi Fay, yes, I processed the 2 images completely seperately then layer masked the image over the brighter one. What do you mean by blurring though? I just paint the layer mask in to reveal the backround image underneath.

Daniel

Fay

I thought your were supposed to heavily blur the shorter sub so it blends in. That is the part I cannot find how to do.........the brush to paint black what you do not want to show through. At the moment I have every part showing thru

Daniel

Ahhh, yes, I get what you mean now, you don't blur the actual image, but you paint the whole layer mask black, then paint in white where you want the shorter subs to show through, once you've done that, you blur the layer mask to blend the masking in smoother.

Daniel