• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Yay!!! I got image of the month in sky at night magazine this month!!

Started by Daniel, Jan 02, 2009, 15:57:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Just got the new Sky at Night magazine and my M42 from a couple of months back is image of the month, can't believe it, I sent it in at the end of october and was told there was a chance I'd get image of the month, when the December issue came out i was gutted because they didn't have any reader images at all. I guess they offset everything a month because they published the calendar last month.

My only regret is I don't think the CMYK conversion has been too kind to the faint parts of my image and a lot of the darker nebulosity has been lost in the printed image.

apart from that though, im ecstatic!

Daniel
:O)

Mac

MarkS

Well done Daniel - you ought to be really proud of that achievement.

Would you repost it here to remind us what it looked like - I don't get Sky at Night  :-(

Mark

Fay

I saw it today in a newsagents, well done Daniel!!!! We know what you look like now!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Daniel

Thanks Guy's, Here's the image I submitted (downscaled a bit of course) you'll see there's quite a bit more nebulosity that didn't show up in print.

MarkS

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Tony G

Daniel,

Posted about this yesterday, but wasn't sure if it was you or not. Here is the original thread, anyway Congratulation again Daniel

http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=3966.msg21290#msg21290

Tony G

PS Personally I like the spikes.   8)
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

Very nice Daniel, a well deserved Image of the month!  Is it an APOD next for you then ?

Daniel

Hehehe, don't think I'll be attempting to get an image on APOD for a while yet, though, you never know, my next imaging night will be with the hyperstar, so we'll see what kind of images that comes up with.

Had a nightmare moment over christmas when I tried to attach the hyperstar, the ring on the front of the SCT wouldn't come off and I thought for a while I'd been sold a non-hyperstar model.

Fortunately, I had another go tonight using some rubber gloves for better grip and and It came off, so next chance I get I'll be using the hyperstar, can't wait............

.............Unfortunately, whilst trying to unscrew the ring from the front of the SCT i rotated the secondary mirror out of colimation, though i think I may have fixed it.

Daniel
:O)

Carole

Well done Daniel, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you've been imaging for that long, so this is a real achievement.
QuoteWe know what you look like now!!!
Yes it would be nice to see the face that goes with the posts, can some-one post Daniel's photo as I don't get Sky at Night.
Or put in an appearance at a meeting, then it can be:
Quotelooks like the drinks are on you then

I like the diffraction spikes personally but then that's my artistic eye saying that as it makes a pretty picture even if not astronimically correct.

Carole