• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Better driver software for ToUcam

Started by Ian, Oct 29, 2003, 07:54:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

http://www.lin4astro.org/

Is a ready rolled Linux distribution giving significantly more control over the toucam for astro-photography. No need to know linux, just burn a cd and boot from it. It works on my Tosh Laptop and my IBM laptop. Drivers for the Toucam is included as is xephem and kstars.

Rick

Interesting. Must have a burrow, see whether I can track down the appropriate packages to put on my system without having to do a re-install...

Just how much of it runs under WINE?

[ This Message was edited by: Rick on 2003-10-29 11:46 ]

Ian

it is based on a small distro called knoppix. It doesn't include wine I don't think. In any case, the main software is Linux native.
Just download, burn, boot and go.

Rick

Yeah, I've heard a bit about knoppix. This setup seems to boot directly from CD, which is an interesting idea, but maybe not quite as flexible as some. It's mostly academic from my PoV at the moment as I (a) don't have a Toucam, and (b) don't have a lap-top... :wink:

Ian

to be honest, it's worth using just for kstars and xephem, it is by far the easiest way of getting them working.
There is also a HDD install option in the distro that works seamlessly, booting from CD is like the OS is wading through treacle...

Greg G

I like the sound of this O/S. Any idea of the minimum spec of the laptop needed to run it?
I have a couple of old Pentium 1 and 486's that could be re-born!

Ian

Hi Greg.

All I can say is try it. I suspect that it won't have been compiled for the 486, but the pentium might go. The real question, is how big is the harddrive?