• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

HEQ6 Pro Polar scope.

Started by Mac, Nov 21, 2008, 08:24:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Just trying to set the scope up and following the instructions for orienting the polar scope reticule.

Is it me or is the diagram etched on to the polar scope wrong?

When you look through the polar scope or even at the picture in the manual.
polaris is in the wrong place?

The pointers are not even close to it.
or are the drawings just for effect?

After trying to work out the instructions, setting it up was fairly straight forward.

Mac.

MarkS

It's by design.  Cassiopeia and Big Dipper are etched the "right way round" so you can look see their orientation on the etching and match it directly with what you see by eye in the sky - you don't view these stars through the polarscope itself.  Polaris is then etched the "wrong way round" because you do view it through the polarscope and hence the scope inverts it - the etching maust then match this inverted image.

The instructions in the manual are horrendously complicated.  Ask JohnP for the very simple technique he uses.

Mark

Mike

I use the Kochab's Clock method with the Polar Scope it is far more accurate.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

The instructions i thought made sense, but after setting them up and then trying to follow them i decided on the following.

engage smart arse mode :lol:
well i though i was going to be a smart arse, and i was.

at 31dec 8pm, polaris is crossing the meridian exactly!!

So if on the 31st of dec at 8pm you were to look through the polar scope, polaris would ve at the bottom, and the local RA time setting should be 02:43 siderial.

So, i aligned the polar scope so polaris is vertically down crossing the meridian and then set the RA setting circle to the correct RA time, 02:43 (polaris).

now the scope is aligned correctly to polaris and siderial time.

so all i needed to do is find out the local siderial time, set the scope to this, and polaris is in the correct position. and adjust as needed. dont need to worry about date and time.
so long as i know the correct local siderial time and turn the RA to current siderial time, polaris will be in the correct position.

NOW THE PROBLEM

why does the mount rotate and the RA setting circle stay put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whats that all about, waste of time realy.

I'll think i'll just set it up every time,
Polaris Vertically down, set the RA to 02:43, and then turn the mount to the correct siderial time.
Simple.

Mac.

Mike

Quote from: Mac on Nov 21, 2008, 10:21:06....why does the mount rotate and the RA setting circle stay put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whats that all about, waste of time realy....

it needs to be adjusted and set before use anyway and obviously needs to be tightened up. It is an easy job and instructions are in the manual. You just need a small allen key.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Mac, I use PolarFinder by Jason Dale. I think John does as well.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Quote....why does the mount rotate and the RA setting circle stay put!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whats that all about, waste of time realy....

Quoteit needs to be adjusted and set before use anyway and obviously needs to be tightened up. It is an easy job and instructions are in the manual. You just need a small allen key.

im on about the large silver RA dial, with two knurled screws. on ther main body and not the one around the polar scope.

If you undo the RA lock and turn the scope, they move with the scope, tighten the RA lock, and use the keypad to rotate the scope, and they stay put.
and they are tight.

Mike

Ahh I see. No they should be free running(ish) to enable you to rotate them for your setting circles.

Rocket Pooch

Mac when I got mine it was loose and out of alignment, all you do is put the cross on a star or far away object and rotate it, if the cross stays bang on the star then the polar scope is in alignment with the mount, mine was not and almost fell out of the scope.  Now its very accurate, I don't use kocabs clock or anything like that now because a quick alignment and guiding is more than enough and the 3 star alignment removes any cone error from the alignment anyway, it really does work well.

Mac

Quoteall you do is put the cross on a star or far away object and rotate it, if the cross stays bang on the star then the polar scope is in alignment with the mount

i'll have to do that at some point today,
As for polar alignment, sorted that one out a treat.
nice and simple.

JohnP

Hi Mac,

Just in case you are still having probs this might be of use....

http://www.adur-astronomical.com/HEQ5/HEQ5-1.htm

Cheers,  John

Fay

I have never done anything with the setting circles. Is this a problem? Could I see a big improvement if I do?

Mike

You don't need them, you have GoTo   :roll:

Fay

Mac

QuoteJust in case you are still having probs this might be of use....

http://www.adur-astronomical.com/HEQ5/HEQ5-1.htm

Cheers for that,

I've checked mine, and the movement is so minimal, i've just left it as is.
I'll use the method i've worked out for polar aligning and see how accurate it is,
and then use the goto iteritive method to get it closer still.

Mac.