• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

New Telescope.

Started by Mac, Nov 15, 2008, 19:03:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Now that the lx200 is pier mounted, and will probably stay that way,
im looking at another scope.

i've been thinking about this one, from Ian King.

William Optics Megrez 90 APO
on either the heq5pro or heq6

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=WOmegrez90

any pointers, tips ect.

i'm looking to get this before DSC.
otherwise its binos for me.

cheers.

Mac

Fay

Mac, you definitely need a more portable setup. You have your pier etc in place & you do not want to pull your back any more.

The EQ6 & 5 are very popular within the club. As you can carry the 6, I would get that, if I were you. The telescope would be fine also. I have the 66, & it is a good little scope.

I am sure the others will put you straight on any finer details.   
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Try Bern at modernastronomy.com he is cheaper than Ian King.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Mac - Don't know if you are into 2nd hand or not but you can get sme good bargains... Here is the 110 for similar price to the 90 you have listed above....

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=21756

John

RobertM

Mac, whatever refractor you get I would recommend factoring the cost of a good quality field flattener.  Also dont forget there is also the Pentax 75 which has one built in so has a large flat field, is small and lightweight and easy on mount requirements.  It would be my choice now if I didn't have the Sky 90.

JohnP

Yep - I've often looked at the Pentax75 myself - it's a good scope although I think it has 'odd' drawtube/ eyepiece fittings....?

John

RobertM

Yes, I've always wondered about that strange size fitting.  Not sure what the backfocus is on those either.

Daniel

From everything I've seen, i'd be so tempted to go for a sky 90 or an fsq 106, except for the fact i've blown my astronomy budget for the next 5 years this year :(