• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

NGC891

Started by Fay, Oct 24, 2008, 12:44:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

I was not happy with this image. Would you believe it was 30x300secs!!!!!!I expected more. I used the ED80 & SX M7. No flats as I forgot that when using the SX, images are taken in High Progressive but the flats are done in Interlacing. Hence, my flats were really striped!

Robert, you mentioned it was a bad night 201008, although it looked clear. There are such good versions on UKAI & Johns is such a good one, I thought it would be a lot better than this.

Any idea's why it is has not got more impact?

Thanks,

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Carole

QuoteAny idea's why it is has not got more impact?
well firstly because you forgot to post the image Fay.

Carole

RobertM

The stars aren't totally round, could that be guiding ...

Mike

I can see it. What do you mean by impact Fay? Guiding looks slightly off as the stars are sort of square but apart from that not bad image.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

The details are not strong enough, for that many exposures. It was a very damp night, I had to use the hairdryer 21/10.

Mike

Then the dew would have upset your guiding as well as producing softer focus. Tryagain on a dry night or use dew heaters.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Mike

Do you have a set of dew heaters Fay?

Fay

No, Mike, I have a hair dryer

Mike

The problem with hair dryers, they are great for getting rid of the dew once it has started to build up, but you really need to prevent it from happening in the first place.

You need a set of dew heaters that can be left on during a session in dewy conditions to stop dew from forming. They can be made relatively cheaply if you don't want to purchase the manufactured items.

Fay

You're right Mike. I will check out buying some. The dew does not go for long, using the hair dryer.

Rocket Pooch

fay it looks a little out of focus, a bit, also maybe the haor dryer if giving the image a wavey effect

Fay

How would the dryer give a wavy effect, Chris? I was not blowing it into style :lol:

Rocket Pooch