• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Horsehead In Ha and Colour, more subs this time

Started by Daniel, Oct 22, 2008, 21:28:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hi All, here's a Horsehead I got last night in both Colour and Ha, You'll also notice I added diffraction spikes this time. I haven't added these artificially, I've made my own spider veins for the refractor. I was missing them looking back on how nice the stars looked on the images taken with the newtonian.

Anyway, the Ha definitely has a lot of detail over the colour and im looking forward to adding them together soon(ish) but I haven't finished processing these yet.

Anyway, I have to get off the computer as my girlfriend needs it for imaging and it's her turn out with the scope tonight!

Here they are:-

Mac

Very nice, what is the green space ship? in the colour one?

Daniel

Hehehe, yes I forgot to take that out, im not entirely sure what it is, I only know that I get them sometimes when I use the focal reducer, by M45 image before was ridden in them, very weird, unlike any abberation I've had before.

Rocket Pooch

RobertM

That's very impressive Daniel, what were the capture details (scope/subs etc.).  The diffraction spikes definitely looks better in colour.

Daniel

Capture details are :-

Exposure - Ha      = 8x600s ISO 800
             - Colour = 18x300s ISO 800

Scope = 120ED

Camera = Canon 40D (Modded)

JohnP

that is very good - still can't believe the results you can get with a dslr..... fantastic...

The diffraction spikes aren't my 'cup of tea'...

John

Rick

The spikes are a bit messy. What sort of optics are you using? Is there any scope for clearing up the optical path at all?

The "flying saucer" is worrying. What is causing it?

Daniel

Hehehe, the spikes were purpously added via a spider vain being put over the apeture, usually the stars would be pretty much pin point on this, but I though this always looks so much b.etter with diffraction spikes, I know there not to everyones liking, but I still miss them since I've been using refractors so much lately.

The "flying saucers" are strange though, no idea what they are, as I said I only get them when I'm using the focal reducer (oops forgot to mention that on my capture details) and the reducer itself looks pretty pristine, fortunately there pretty small so relatively easy to get rid of.

Rick

Daniel

I've Combined the Ha with the colour now, I think it's pulled out quite a lot more detail, i've also been able to stretch it quite a bit more without introducing noise.

This was done by simply ripping the red channel out of the Ha and replacing it on the colour.

Have to say, it's so nice to finally get this object, at the start of last year, I couldn't resolve anything, not even a smudge. as i mentioned before, this was done with a focal reducer, I think my next may be without to get more detail.

Anyway, here it is

RobertM

It's been really good to see your progress Daniel, as with many of us I think we've all learnt a lot this year and that's shown on the forum.  This is an excellent picture from a DSLR, the curtain above the horses head is starting to come out but I think your black is just a tad too black and possibly obscuring a bit more nebulosity.  It would be good to see what you can do with dark skies at the next DSC.

Daniel

Hi Robert, thanks for the comments, Yes, I have to say, this forum has been great for accelerating mine, and im sure everyone else's learning curve. The fact that everyone here shares there image details and techniques, has been such a help. On the subject of the black level, this has been a problem for me, trying to maintain the contrast whilst keeping the black level higher. Unfortunately that usually means letting in a lot more of the light polution across the image in the areas of nebulosity. Im hoping to head to salisbury soon-ish so shoul be able to try out some proper dark sky imaging.