• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter Movie

Started by A.S.I.G.N_Baz, Oct 11, 2008, 01:53:35

Previous topic - Next topic

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Hi all,

this is the culmination of a broken corrector plate, a couple of hours capture and a couple of days of processing.

Enjoy!

The movie is on the bottom of the page.

http://www.asignobservatory.com/astrophotography/image_gallery/planets.aspx

Cheers, Baz.

MarkS

Baz,

Broken corrector plate?  That's simply terrible!  What on earth happened?  How did you repair it?

Mark

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

Quote from: MarkS on Oct 12, 2008, 16:55:35

Baz,

Broken corrector plate?  That's simply terrible!  What on earth happened?  How did you repair it?

Mark
I didn't. I am still waiting on quotes and info on replacing it as I beleive it has to be matched to the primary and secondary as a set. It may be worth buying a new socpe. It will never be top of the line again, but I was pleased with the results though. It's like running with a blister. Sure you can still run, but it hobbles you a bit.

The crack came from one of the screws holding the retaining ring on. Our winter this year was minus temps every night for a few weeks and I had a 20 degree spring day. It doesn't take a genius to see how it happened.

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Baz,

Is that the scope you did all that hard work on - the Peltier cooling?  If so, you must be even more gutted.

Still, I reckon that crack would make very little difference to the final image except that it might disperse some extra light where you don't want it.  I might be wrong though ...

Mark

Rick

It'll depend a bit how much the figure of the plate changed as a result of the stresses relieved when the plate cracked, I guess...