• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Very Topical

Started by Tony G, Aug 19, 2008, 19:45:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony G

Hi all,

I saw this today on APOD and thought 'where have I seen this lately' :-?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0808/ngc6960_block_big.jpg

Tony G

PS....................I was going to pass this off as mine, but thought better of it.................Cyber Police :police:
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Yep- saw it as well pretty awesome - has a real 3d feel to it & the colours are great..

John

Rocket Pooch

JohnP

Who knows Chris - maybe France...... :-)

Looks like he has applied a tad too much noise removal - looks kinda soft on the full size....

John

RobertM

I think the rainbow colours in the diffraction spikes are a bit ott and the main star's a tad saturated, not a bad image otherwise  :o

Rocket Pooch

yes those DIFFRACTION SPIKES are awfull, maybe they applied them after the image was taken...

Tony G

:police:                       
           :police:                                  :police:
      :police:                  :police:

THIS IS A RAID!!!!!!!!................................ do not mention Diffraction Spikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rick

Quote from: Tony G on Aug 19, 2008, 19:45:27
PS....................I was going to pass this off as mine, but thought better of it.................Cyber Police :police:

You'd never have got away with it, and it wouldn't have been 'cos of those pesky kids cops! Your fellow imagers would have spotted it straight away! Those diffraction spikes are a dead give-away.  :afro:

Daniel

I actually like diffraction spikes, im kinda missing them now im imaging with the SCT and the refractors, I've been thinking of putting some string accross the end of the SCT, feels a bit rubbish adding them in photoshop

Fay

Wow, I like that, except for the spikes!!!!!!
Tony don't even think about passing it off as yours, believe me, I know by experience!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

ummm..... Pelican Nebula.......... :-) :-)

Rick

Those genuine diffraction spikes are worth a close look, mainly because they are genuine artefacts of the primary imaging system.

Mike

I doubt there is a lot the photographer can do about them but I find those ones quite distracting as they are completely OTT.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Yeah. They're the result of the star being so much brighter than the rest of the field, but there's not a lot the photographer can do about that, especially when the telescope he's using has a 24" aperature. At least the spikes are narrow. Incidentally, there's a press release about the image here: http://uanews.org/node/21044

JohnP

Interesting - would love to go on one of those workshops - I don't suppose there is any chance of the OAS sponsoring me... :-)

John