• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter 20 Aug 2008

Started by MarkS, Aug 22, 2008, 08:22:16

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Raining this morning, so I decided to process some Jupiter data taken a couple of evenings ago.  And I'm still waiting for the moon to go away so I can do some deep sky stuff.

The seeing was pretty bad but Jupiter is (slightly) higher in the sky here in France, which makes a big difference.  Deconvolution has caused some ringing around the edge - I'll give the processsing another go when I get home.

500 frames at 0.2sec with an SPC900 webcame on the C11 with a barlow.

For interest, compare it with a very similar image taken 2 days before by a real master in Australia (posted on UKAI):

http://paulhaese.net/194118august2008.html

RobertM

Hi Mark,

I think thats a really good attempt, what was it like visually ?  All I could see last night was the two main equatorial bands and just the barest hint of more detail - seeing was as usual c**p.

I almost can't believe that other image you posted, it's on par with those of Damian Peach - I think having a blueprinted C14 helps a lot !  Not sure about peltier cooling one though I would imagine that would be fairly difficult !

Robert

Fay

Very nice Mark. As Robert said, weather it's usual standard last night.

See what tonight brings......................
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Visually I could see 3 distinct bands and I could also just about make out distinguish red spot.  But there were  definite waves passing over the whole image.