• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging Workshop - 22nd November

Started by Mike, Aug 07, 2008, 11:30:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

All of that sounds great. However, we need to arrange the day so will need either a yes or a no to speaking ASAP please.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

I can't plan that far out with work, sorry.

Ian

I offered to do a slot, perhaps on some theory or physics. I don't image enough at the moment to warrant taking a slot to talk about that.

Like Chris I can't plan that far ahead and be certain, but it's in the diary.

Fay

Mike, where is it being held? & to whom are you speaking, club members or public?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

It is at High Elms and it is for members only. If it is successful enough we will do one again in 2009 and make it a public one.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

I feel you need to come up with topics that need to be included rather than asking people what they are prepared to do.  It should start off with basics then move on to more advance techniques thereby being more coherent and having a thread joining them all together.

Example:

Equipment explained:
    Selecting a mount
    Selecting a telescope
    Choosing a CCD camera
    Matching equipment

Taking images (general):
    Signal and noise
    Image Scale
    Exposure

Planetary/Solar imaging:
   Image scale
   What we are trying to achieve
   Atmospheric effects and how they affect image quality
   Techniques

Autoguiding:
   Equipment selection
   Calibration
   Guiding
   Experience (gotyas/gimmes)

Deep Sky imaging (maybe two or more parts):
   Atmospheric effects
   Signal and noise
   Stacking and the various methods
   Problems ( gradients, vignetting and light pollution )
   Calibration (flat field, bias and darks)

Colour imaging:

Post processing (general):
   Histograms and stretching
   Digital post processing
   Curves/levels (PS)

Post processing:
   Planetary
   Stellar
   Galaxies
   Nebulae
   etc...

Carole

I think Roberts suggestion is very sensible as there is no point in jumping in with more advanced things until we've covered the basics, and there could be people who are interested who haven't done anything at all.  For those who have started but are still learning like myelf, we can refresh what we've done and then pick it up at the point we are at. 

However I think we might need more than one day to cover all this.

Carole

Mike

That is exactly what we are trying to do. But without speakers willing to talk on various subjects we won't cover much at all. So far we only have 3 speakers.

RobertM

Sorry, I can't commit till about three weeks before.  I do travel abroad as needed so as you can appreciate it's difficult for me to do this so far in advance.

If you want to allocate me a topic then I'll prepare a presentation as I should be able to do it.

Mike

Chris, Ian and Robert - Are you able to commit to this yet please? I need to be able to get the day sorted out and organise a meeting with the speakers in October to finalise the details.

Also, Paul, John, Tony, Mark, Fay, Mac - What about you doing short talks ?

Tony G

Which Tony?

If it's me, I can do a talk on 'Items for sale on eBay that you don't need' and 'How can I utilise this gadget, so I can use it for astronomy somehow'. :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Rocket Pooch

i really won't know for a while yet...

MarkS

Quote from: Mike
Paul, John, Tony, Mark, Fay, Mac - What about you doing short talks ?

I'll be there and willing to do a talk (preferably on something I know about!)

Mike

OK this is a final call for speakers. So far only myself and Mark are definite.

Can the remaining people please state if they can talk or not as we need to arrange a meeting very soon to organise the day and itinery.

Mac

Im going to have to say sorry, as at the moment my november is fully booked up.

Mac.