• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DeepSky Camp August 2008

Started by MarkS, Aug 03, 2008, 18:44:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

John,

that is so much better!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Hope you don't mind Mark, but it tempted me to have a go as well, as I have none of my own!!!!!

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

I've posted a 1024x1024 of the raw M16 stack here for anyone who wants to deconvolve etc:

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10046/eagle1024.tif 

It's approx 5Mbyte

Note, it's a TIF created by IRIS so the pixel range is 0-32767,  that's just the way IRIS works ...

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Ok would be nice to have the original files, but I had a go based on the stacked one, which is not aligned fully.

I split the RGB in AIP, re-aligned them, Deconvoluted them separately, Sigmoid scaled seperately.  Saved as fits, then recombined them in photoshop as file, LRGB (L being the ADV of the RGB) did no processing on the noise or the balance (except gussian blur and saturated the RGB by 15%) :-) then put it here.

The blue is fatter than the rest, oddly?  And the Red was really fuzzy, anyway if an alignment was done on the full raws again it might have been better.

original

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Nicely processed Chris!  You've improved the colour and contrast and certainly brought out some extra detail.

It's true - I didn't align the RGB.  I think the cause is atmospheric refraction because M16 is always low in the sky.

Blue fatter then the rest?  I don't know why - could it be UV?
The fuzzy red is almost certainly due to IR - the focal reducer probably doesn't focus it in the same plane as the visible spectrum.

What do you use for the deconvolution?  AIP?

Thanks,

Mark

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

I always process in AIP unless I need sigma combine then I use maxim.  I think you actually have a very nice image there, it was very easy to get the detail out of it.

Chris