• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

DeepSky Camp August 2008

Started by MarkS, Aug 03, 2008, 18:44:59

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Friday night at DSC.
Nikon D70  150sec at ISO 800 F3.5  Dark Subtracted

JohnP

nice one mark - you can see who's not using red lights... :-(

Daniel

Mark, Looks lovely, I was just about 20 miles away about an hour ago on my way there when i realised I'd forgotten my power tank so had to head back to get it, but now Im here, the weather is looking so awful, I've decided to stay in, the satelite says it'l clear up later, but im not sure if I believe it this time, it's just blanket grey all over :(

Ahhh, well, there's always the next one !

Carole

My only image from DSC because as those who were there know I had Motor Failure problems with my scope** which meant I couldn't track after the first attempt and I had intended to practice polar alignment, a longer exposure and barlow lens, but I never got that far. 

I think this is a slight improvement from my previous Jupiter and I do detect a possible red spot on this.
I did 5 fps this time and a minutes frames instead of the 15 second I think I did last time.  I wasn't however able to make any improvement in processing.  So 5 fps 379 out of 383 frames, 25% gain (that's all I remember). 

** Am hoping the problems with the scope were due to power failure (batteries).

Carole

(See that Modify link above?)

MarkS

Quote from: Carolepope
... I do detect a possible red spot on this.

Yes, that's definitely the Great Red Spot - well done - it's a clear image.   I hope you manage to  sort out your frustrating motor failures.

RobertM

Nice detail Mark.  From this you can conclusively see that Chris is causing the most light pollution in the group, second only to London !

Carole, I always have problems with jpegs - is it a feature or a dust bunnie.  Luckily in this case it appears to be the Great Red spot so well done.  That's a very good image especially considering the low position of Jupiter and your woes on the day.

Rocket Pooch

I got this, not very good but maybe next time....

Carole

Is this the same image that you showed us on your laptop at DSC Chris?

The colours looked stunning on the lap top but not quite the same on this posting.

Still a fabulous picture though.

Mark, many thanks for all your help with my electrical problems, and thanks for offering to adapt my old lead so I can use it off the 12V battery.  Let me know if you spend anything on it and I'll re-imburse you.

Thanks
carole

Daniel

How was sunday night, as I mentioned I got to within 20 miles when I realised i'd forgotten my power tank and had to turn back, did it clear up at all?

Rocket Pooch

Hi,

Sunday night was not goo so we remove the contents from three bottles of win, so you did not miss much.

Carol, I swapped the colour channels around from the image you have a look at, hence the change, but this is not the finished item that will take some more time to do, so I'll post a finished image next week, also this is not as good as what I can achieve with the setup, so if its clear next weekend I'll be back in the field to finish it off.

Chris

Fay

Chris, what is causing those little blue dots with a red & green squares underneath?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

hot pixels, no darks from this, as i said it really is a raw image, will be better next time.

Carole

QuoteI had Motor Failure problems with my scope**
Quote** Am hoping the problems with the scope were due to power failure (batteries).

Just found this on the web today, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
QuoteMUF (motor unit failure) - this usually indicates bad power connections or low supply
voltage.

Carole

mickw

Carole are you still using rechargeable batteries in your ETX ?
Rechargeable batteries do not have quite the same power as standard alkaline batteries especially when trying to drive a motor.

Still, it sounds like Mark will sort you out with a "serious" power supply lead.
Hope you get sorted OK.

Nice pics everyone, wish I could have made it  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

duckling

Hot Pic?  two blue dots over the green look a bit like Mick Mouse......have you discovered the Disney nebular?

Seriously though, great image considering the intermittent cloud and dewing.

Phil