• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Eclipse

Started by Whitters, Aug 02, 2008, 00:27:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitters

A few shots of today's eclipse of the Sun
Eyepiece projection, hand held camera. Celestron C8 32mm eyepiece, and Thousand Oaks solar filter. Note use of star diagonal giving flipped left right image

Prime focus of C8

Using f6.3 focal reducer

And all but gone

MarkS

Lovely pictures Paul!

Daniel

Fantastic images, love the colour your getting with the thousand oaks filter. I had my first go with a solar filter today, and was just wondering if it's possible to see prominences with an 80ED and the baader solar film over the end apeture?

The suns not particularly exciting right now, no sunspots (or at least none i could see) I tried putting my Ha filter on the diaganol, but that just made everything red, is this the best you can expect without a dedicated solar scope?

Mike

You can't see the prominences with a white light filter.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rick

Quote from: Daniel on Aug 07, 2008, 01:55:49is this the best you can expect without a dedicated solar scope?
You'll see sunspots (including some detail in them) with a white-light solar filter, but to see some features (like prominences, filaments and plages) you need a very narrow-band filter (1 Angstrom or less) like the one on the Society's solar telescope.