• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Narrowband Imaging

Started by Daniel, Jul 27, 2008, 22:26:42

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Do you mean an IR pass filter?  That is supposed to be good for planetary work because IR is less affected by the seeing.

I tried an IR pass filter with the SPC webcam on Jupiter 2 nights ago. 

See http://forum.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/index.php?topic=3645.msg17444#msg17444

Daniel

Oooh, that's cool, So i guess that can all be colour balanced out to get the original colouration back, I was just going to use it for doing my luminance subs but i'm definetly going to try some planetary work with it now

MarkS

Err, no.

It is IR, which means it lacks the visible light component, so it can't be RGB balanced to make it look "normal".

I did read somewhere that the way to use the IR is to use it as a luminance channel to go with separately recorded RGB.

Mark

Daniel

Ahhh, I see, of course, definetly something i'll try though, might be interesting to see if I can re-map the colours using an RGB image of the same thing

RobertM

You can use HaRGB instead of LRGB (if that makes sense).  The Ha does throw the colour balance out so you have to be careful to merge it to the R and to the B channels carefully - something like HaR for red, HaB for blue and G, then do your normal colour balancing.  With LRGB you would just blend in the luminance channel with PS.  I took Ha,R,G and B last night and intend to use that technique (for the first time) to process the data - should be putting it in the gallery tonight barring and problems if you're interested.

RobertM

Daniel

Hi Robert, thanks for this, that's amazingly helpfull, i've got all next week off so hopefully weather permitting, I'll be able to put some of this into practice