• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kielder V Kelling Heath

Started by Carole, Jul 17, 2008, 15:52:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

OK

Following on from the polls that were posted some time ago, this topic was discussed at the committee meeting last night and it has been decided to arrange an extra DSC long weekend at Kelling Heath In Norfolk (where there are really dark skies).  This was chosen because it is closer and it was thought more people would go. 

As I have the task of organising this I will investigate dates etc and feed back to the committee for a final decision on dates. 

In the meantime I would like replies from those who are interested to come to this in principal, and I will also be announcing this at the next meeting for those who do not use the Forum.

It will take the normal camping form and I gather there is access to electricity there and other Astronomers besides OAS.

Carole

Ian

I'd plan to go in principle (if that's the same thing ;) )

(You know, they used to shoot pedants. Some time in August if I remember right)

RobertM

I'll go in principle to if there is enough room...

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

QuoteYou know, they used to shoot pedants. Some time in August if I remember right

And Grouse !
It was also quite common to shoot peasants if the Grouse were elusive  :twisted:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Just collecting numbers at present so I have some idea when I make a booking.  No idea when this will be as yet.

that's 4 tents so far including myself.

Carole

Delphine

Please add me to the list of possiblies

delphine

JohnP

In theory yes also... but it depends on when it is etc. What with the regular DSC's, the imaging I do at home plus my week away in France this year it'll be tough spending another weekend away doing astro stuff.... I could of course bring everyone..... John

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Jul 18, 2008, 16:01:57......it'll be tough spending another weekend away doing astro stuff....

It's a hard life.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

Quote from: Mike on Jul 18, 2008, 16:20:37
Quote from: JohnP on Jul 18, 2008, 16:01:57......it'll be tough spending another weekend away doing astro stuff....

It's a hard life.

You just don't know how lucky you are with Cris mate...  :roll:

JohnP

Ian Mate - I'm glad that there is another astro imager in the society that appreciates the complexities of trying to balance Astronomy & Home Life....

I knew Mike would 'slag me' as soon as I posted & you are right Mike doesn't know how lucky he is with Cris - she even loves camping........ :-)

Mike

He didn't say it would be tough GETTING AWAY, he said it would be tough spending another weekend doing astro stuff.

Hence my comment.

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Jul 18, 2008, 16:34:37I knew Mike would 'slag me'...

?

I think you might want to retract that statement after reading what you posted yourself.

Your post implied that it would be tough to spend so much time doing astro events. Hence my light hearted comment.

Carole

Up to 6 tents now.

QuoteI could of course bring everyone..... John
John, Kelling Heath says it is OK to bring the family so long as they stick to the rules about noise and light pollution.

I'll add the rules to this posting when I get home as it's stricter than what we are used to.  It would be nice to get some really dark skies in a place that understands about the needs of Astronomers and we can save the blowing up of TVs and other such mischief to or regular DSC.

There is apparently accommodation there for those who don't wish to camp but those that choose this would have to set up their Astronomy equipment elsewhere as there are too many trees near the Caravans/cabins.  I don't see this as a problem though.  They can set up by the OAS tents and sleep elsewhere.

Carole

JohnP

Mike - it's never hard doing 'astro stuff' - if I had my way I'd be doing it 24/7 - in fact I could think of nothing more I would love to do than have a full time astro career... :-)

Apologies - if I misunderstood your light hearted jest....

John

MarkS

Put me down as a possible ...

Carole

We're up to 7 tents now.

Every-one please find attached the Link to Kelling Heath where you will find all the information regarding the StarParty on 29th April.

Click on Unique environment/The Night Sky at Kelling Heath/scroll down for Star Party.

I am thinking about the Star Party 23 - 26 April 2009.  I think September 2008 is too soon to organise and is either probably already booked up, or there are no places left on the decent Astronomy pitches.

This is designed especially for Astronomers, so rules on lighting are very strict.  Lots of Astronomical things going on as well.  On the down side, I don't think we will be able to "muck about" quite in the same way that we do at Tuesnoad.  However if the skies are clear we should get some good dark skies without light pollution and people shining car lights, torches and toilet blocks being lit.  There will be hundreds of Astronomers from all over the country there at the same time.

There is the alternative to go on a separate date when it is not a StarParty, but then we will not have the advantage of the strict lighting rules.

Would value some feedback on this.

Below are the rules for StarParty Events (can't remember where I found them, so have copied and pasted from a previous E Mail to the committee.

Star party etiquette guidelines
Attendees are requested to follow standard star party etiquette during the
observing, for the enjoyment of all. Please take note of the requirements
about interior car lights before you come, rather than turning up and then
discovering that you don't have any suitable tape!

CARS
No car movements are permitted after dark, so please arrange to arrive
before this time.
Turn car interior lights off if you can, or remove the fuse before sunset.
Alternatively, cover them with opaque tape, including those in the boot.
If a bright light is unavoidable - call out: "LIGHTS IN 3 SECONDS" to give
everyone time to turn the other way.

LIGHTS
Only red torches to be used at night and the light kept facing down.
Toilet block lights will be switched off at 21:00 during the main weekend.
The use of bright laser pointers is discouraged as it can interfere with
imaging and is potentially dangerous in a well-attended event.

NOISE
Loud talking/noise on the site disturbs everyone throughout the night.
Loud talking or noise before 10:00 am on Sunday will disturb observers who
do not retire until dawn.
Music. Please be considerate of others trying to sleep when it is cloudy by
not playing music late at night.

Carole

(Edited to remove duplicated section -- Rick)

Carole

MarkS

It doesn't seem to mention magnesium ribbon ...

Ian

it doesn't seem to mention quite a few antics... :)

RobertM

Hi Carole,  I'd like to go but can't plan that far ahead at the moment so put me down as a possible.

Have you exausted all the possibilities for the Autumn event ? I'm still very keen on going ?

Carole

I can't believe how slow this site is this at the moment, I have been trying to post this for the last 10 minutes!!!!!!!  Half the buttons have not downloaded nor the OAS Logo at the top.

Was trying to insert a quote but that won't work either!!!!
So will have to do it the hard way.

(Quote)"Have you exausted all the possibilities for the Autumn event ? I'm still very keen on going?" (Unquote)

Robert, I am going to telephone Kelling Heath before Thursday and I will ask them what they have left for this September (among other things) so I have some info before Thursdays meeting.  I would not mind going myself but the dates are:

(quoted from the Kelling Site)
The 2008 event will be from Monday 22 September until Thursday 2 October
Main Day Saturday 27 Sept

As I shall be in Canada from 3 - 21 September I don't think it would be practical for me to be the organiser of an event with me being away for such a long period before the event, plus I would not be able to go until the 26th having just been away (i.e. getting more time off work). 

However if members want to make their own bookings and meet up there, I don't see any reason why they shouldn't go.  If any-one is interested in doing so perhaps they can can start up a new thread. 

Or, if some-one else wants to be the co-ordinator for a September 2008 Kelling Heath StarParty as it is not practical for me to do this, but this would have to be an unofficial event as no time to agree this by the committee.

Meanwhile, I'll see what I can find out over the telephone before Thursday.

Carole

(Edited to remove blank space -- Rick)

RobertM

Many thanks Carole, we all appreciate the effort involved in setting up these events and how much personal time it takes, it's all very much appreciated.  I would be happy to organise something unofficially but I suspect the only way of getting any pitches is to pick them up on a web site like Astro Buy and Sell.

Lets first see if you have any joy but if not then if anyone is still interested then we'll take it from there.

Carole

I have telephoned Kelling Heath and found out lots more info and Jim has asked me to make an announcement tonight.

I have typed out some information leaflets which are primarily for those who don't use the forum.

Hmmmm, now I don't know how to attach a word file, I'll post it as a whole item in the next posting.

It seems we can have an Astronomy weekend when it is not a StarParty, with our own field, (including electricity), but the rules will not be quite as strict about use of light, but we will miss all the Astronomical Events that go with the Star Party, (see attached), plus the opportunity to sell your own equipment (which may appeal to some), talks, tradestands, chance to chat with other Astronomers, so I think we may put this to the vote.

Cost:  £10 per night per pitch. 
There are Caravans and Lodges, but these are Astronomically expensive (excuse the pun).
September StarParty is fully booked, I am thinking of booking the April StarParty Thurs 23 - Sun 25th (their dates), unless the vote goes for a non StarParty weekend.

Carole

Carole

Kelling Heath, Norfolk (information leaflet)

http://www.kellingheath.co.uk/

Kelling Heath is well away from any intrusive lighting allowing the Park to enjoy some of the darkest sites in the country

Kelling Heath plays its part in keeping light pollution to a minimum by the sensitive use of night time lighting

Visitors to the Kelling Heath Holiday Park in North Norfolk may have noticed the stunning night skies the Park has to offer.This has certainly been noticed by UK astronomers and to take advantage of this, they organise a yearly star party which is attended by hundreds of astronomers from all over the country.

StarParty Dates: 

Saturday 27th September 2008 FULLY BOOKED
Thurs 23rd April – Sunday 25th April (need to book a.s.a.p.)

Cost:  £10 per pitch per night
Each pitch measures approximately 8 x 4 m and will take a touring caravan, awning and car.

There are other accommodations for those who don't which to camp, but they are considerably more expensive.
Caravan - £180 for 3 nights
Lodges  - £280 for 3 nights
And the area around these is wooded so not suitable for erecting telescopes.

StarParty (Astronomers come from all over the country).
Usually organised by Norwich Astronomical Society

Quotes from the Site.
A weekend of observing and events. The main day of the event has traditionally been the Saturday, with trade stands, secondhand 'astroboot' stalls and talks, but since 2005 the events have extended into the Sunday with talks and a workshop of particular interest to active observers. These will take place after midday to allow for those who are observing until the small hours!

Two of the camping fields at the Kelling Heath site are devoted exclusively to amateur astronomers during this weekend, and a strict 'no lights' policy is observed here at night.

There is no charge for attending the event other than the £10 a night pitch fee paid directly to the Kelling Heath campsite – a considerable discount on the normal rate. Day visitors may attend free, but anyone wishing to stay for the evening is warned that car movements cannot take place on the observing field after dark, so they must park some distance away.

•   The site offers just about the darkest skies available within a reasonable distance of most of the population centres of the UK
•   Being on the eastern side of the country, there is a greater chance of clear skies
•   All the pitches have electrical hook-ups
•   The site is sympathetically managed in favour of nature, so outside lighting is kept to a minimum. See this comment from the campsite about the use of torches.
•   There is ample room for all on the site
(an extra charge is made for attending the talks)

A free tour of the observing field is also available, with the permission of the telescope owners, which gives a unique chance to see a range of equipment as used by active amateur astronomers. Many people bring along equipment for private sale (the 'boot sale', from a filter up to a complete telescope.  In 2007 it is planned to have a separate area for the boot sale on the Saturday, where people can sell from their cars or from tables (bring your own). This will be located away from the Trade Village.

Star party etiquette guidelines
Attendees are requested to follow standard star party etiquette during the observing, for the enjoyment of all. Please take note of the requirements about interior car lights before you come, rather than turning up and then discovering that you don't have any suitable tape!

CARS
No car movements are permitted after dark, so please arrange to arrive before this time.
Turn car interior lights off if you can, or remove the fuse before sunset. Alternatively, cover them with opaque tape, including those in the boot.
If a bright light is unavoidable – call out: "LIGHTS IN 3 SECONDS" to give everyone time to turn the other way.

LIGHTS
Only red torches to be used at night and the light kept facing down.
Toilet block lights will be switched off at 21:00 during the main weekend.
The use of bright laser pointers is discouraged as it can interfere with imaging and is potentially dangerous in a well-attended event.

NOISE
Loud talking/noise on the site disturbs everyone throughout the night.
Loud talking or noise before 10:00 am on Sunday will disturb observers who do not retire until dawn.
Music. Please be considerate of others trying to sleep when it is cloudy by not playing music late at night.

How to get there
Kelling Heath is off the A148 which runs between Cromer and Holt.  Just west of Bodham is a lane to Kelling Heath. The entrance to the site is a mile on the left in woodland.  The postcode for your sat nav is NR25 7HW.

Other things to do:
Red Squirrel breeding programme
Unique natural environment with wildlife
Guided Walks

Alternative:  We go on a NON StarParty weekend, when we could have the Rallyfield to ourselves still at £10 per tent per night, there is still electricity, but none of the Astronomical events of a StarParty.  The rules on lighting will not be so strict.