• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Kielder V Kelling Heath

Started by Carole, Jul 17, 2008, 15:52:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Carole

OK

Following on from the polls that were posted some time ago, this topic was discussed at the committee meeting last night and it has been decided to arrange an extra DSC long weekend at Kelling Heath In Norfolk (where there are really dark skies).  This was chosen because it is closer and it was thought more people would go. 

As I have the task of organising this I will investigate dates etc and feed back to the committee for a final decision on dates. 

In the meantime I would like replies from those who are interested to come to this in principal, and I will also be announcing this at the next meeting for those who do not use the Forum.

It will take the normal camping form and I gather there is access to electricity there and other Astronomers besides OAS.

Carole

Ian

I'd plan to go in principle (if that's the same thing ;) )

(You know, they used to shoot pedants. Some time in August if I remember right)

RobertM

I'll go in principle to if there is enough room...

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

QuoteYou know, they used to shoot pedants. Some time in August if I remember right

And Grouse !
It was also quite common to shoot peasants if the Grouse were elusive  :twisted:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Carole

Just collecting numbers at present so I have some idea when I make a booking.  No idea when this will be as yet.

that's 4 tents so far including myself.

Carole

Delphine

Please add me to the list of possiblies

delphine

JohnP

In theory yes also... but it depends on when it is etc. What with the regular DSC's, the imaging I do at home plus my week away in France this year it'll be tough spending another weekend away doing astro stuff.... I could of course bring everyone..... John

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Jul 18, 2008, 16:01:57......it'll be tough spending another weekend away doing astro stuff....

It's a hard life.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

Quote from: Mike on Jul 18, 2008, 16:20:37
Quote from: JohnP on Jul 18, 2008, 16:01:57......it'll be tough spending another weekend away doing astro stuff....

It's a hard life.

You just don't know how lucky you are with Cris mate...  :roll:

JohnP

Ian Mate - I'm glad that there is another astro imager in the society that appreciates the complexities of trying to balance Astronomy & Home Life....

I knew Mike would 'slag me' as soon as I posted & you are right Mike doesn't know how lucky he is with Cris - she even loves camping........ :-)

Mike

He didn't say it would be tough GETTING AWAY, he said it would be tough spending another weekend doing astro stuff.

Hence my comment.

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Jul 18, 2008, 16:34:37I knew Mike would 'slag me'...

?

I think you might want to retract that statement after reading what you posted yourself.

Your post implied that it would be tough to spend so much time doing astro events. Hence my light hearted comment.

Carole

Up to 6 tents now.

QuoteI could of course bring everyone..... John
John, Kelling Heath says it is OK to bring the family so long as they stick to the rules about noise and light pollution.

I'll add the rules to this posting when I get home as it's stricter than what we are used to.  It would be nice to get some really dark skies in a place that understands about the needs of Astronomers and we can save the blowing up of TVs and other such mischief to or regular DSC.

There is apparently accommodation there for those who don't wish to camp but those that choose this would have to set up their Astronomy equipment elsewhere as there are too many trees near the Caravans/cabins.  I don't see this as a problem though.  They can set up by the OAS tents and sleep elsewhere.

Carole

JohnP

Mike - it's never hard doing 'astro stuff' - if I had my way I'd be doing it 24/7 - in fact I could think of nothing more I would love to do than have a full time astro career... :-)

Apologies - if I misunderstood your light hearted jest....

John