• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Possible new arrival ahhhh

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jul 10, 2008, 11:47:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Ok, providing my offer is accepted, I'm the proud owener of a 150mm F5 Newt 1/6th with a 1:10 crayford, should be ok for wide field stuff and be very portable, everyone say ahhh.

Now do I sell the ZS66 or the 80mm Guide scope?  Or keep them all and never have to change things over again?

Chris

P.S. Spacedog was 1 a little while ago, forgot to tell you.

Mike

OOh nice kit.

Happy Birthday Spacedog !
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Rocket Pooch

Ian

hmm, he's grown a bit.

No chance of us catching him running round the field at DSC any more :(

Rocket Pooch

Dude he's 36kg now as well, you should see him jump up at people under 5' 6".

Ian

that's my kind of dog. Don't get me started on Yorkshire terriers...

Fay

Happy birthday, Frodo.
He looks a bit unpredictable in that photo!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Happy Birthday Frodo !

Reminds me of Basil, the poodle we had when I was living with my parents, he looks exactly the same.  They are wonderful dogs, highly intellegent and very allergy friendly if you suffer from asthma like me.  Trouble is they have to have a ponsy hair do every now and then.

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: RobertM on Jul 10, 2008, 19:37:57
Trouble is they have to have a ponsy hair do every now and then.

He's a labradoodle, nothing ponsy about them, honest.

RobertM

Lovely dogs, hope you bring him down to DSC ...

Rocket Pooch

He has been at the last four I have attended  :o

Fay

Chris,

with your post title, I think a lot of people thought you & Karen were adding to the family, in a nappy, bottle, kind of way.

Not a new telescope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Jul 11, 2008, 11:55:29...with your post title, I think a lot of people thought you & Karen were adding to the family, in a nappy, bottle, kind of way....

I must admit that was my first thought.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

RobertM

QuoteHe has been at the last four I have attended

That's four more than me :(

Good luck with your offer...

Rocket Pooch

Ok the deal is done!  Will get the scope next week.

Mike

Rocket Pooch

Its an Orion Optics 150mm F5 Delux 1/6th with the 10:1 focusor and also with the secondary in place so it will focus with an SLR, the reason for getting it is so I can try an F5 Scope, basically a 10 minut sub with the ED80 F7.5 becomes a 4 minute sub at F4 and they have about the same focal length, just need to get me paws onto a Coma Corrector now.  So I should be able to do 8 minute subs which would be the equivilent of 20 mins at the moment, I was going to get a GSP 8"F4, but I'm not 100% positive it would not need a tweak.

As usual it was second hand, new they are about £300 without the mod for the SLR.

Its one of these with the 1:10 reducer option. http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/EUROPA/europa150f5delux.html

Also, don't ask me why, but I have allways liked newt scopes.  I get it on Tuesday, so I suppose I should sell something to make the bank balance up a little.

Chris

Fay

Chris, what is the mod for the SLR?

Rocket Pooch

You have to move the secondary nearer the primary so you have enough infocus, about 50mm worth.

MarkS

Isn't it easier to move the primary closer to the secondary? 

Otherwise you have to reposition the focuser as well - it must make a big mess of the side of the OTA ...

Rocket Pooch

It was done at the factory, it looks ok.

Tony G

Chris,

That's the hairy beast that woke me early one morning by washing my face.
I wonder if it was your snoring Zzzzzzz early in the morning that woke him. ;)

And he's still bloody growing........

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Delphine

Quote from: Tony G on Jul 11, 2008, 21:45:49
Chris,

That's the hairy beast that woke me early one morning by washing my face.

Tony G

Must be something to do with his woolly coat ;)

Ian

Quote from: Delphine on Jul 12, 2008, 09:51:17
Must be something to do with his woolly coat ;)

Are we still talking about Jim?

Rocket Pooch

Na he not woolly on top any more!

RobertM

Hope we're not talking Sheep here !