• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Jupiter

Started by MarkS, Jul 06, 2008, 10:22:21

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkS

Jupiter on Thursday night (3 Jul 2008).  The seeing was bad and Jupiter was low in the sky (approx 15deg altitude).

The image of jupiter + moons was taken with the Canon EOS 350D on the Celestron C11 at F10. 
20 Frames of 1/10 sec at ISO 100 stacked, mildly deconvolved, scaled by 2/3 and then the big cheat - the moons were brightened by a factor of 10 in Photoshop otherwise they were almost invisible. 

Left to right is Io, Ganymede, Europa, Callisto.

The webcam image is 2000 frames of 0.2 sec stacked in Registax and wavelets applied.  To be honest I don't think it has any more surface detail than the image above.

I'm now waiting for a night with good seeing to try again!

Rocket Pooch

Definately collimation needs to be sorted out, mind you still gob smacked you get those images with the SLR.

Carole

Well done Mark, you managed to get all four Galilean moons and the whole lot is much sharper than mine. 

I needs to take a longer exposure I think.  Also reassuring that you had the same problem as me with getting the moons visible and Jupiter at the correct exposure both at the same time.

That's two of Mike's challenges you've got at least.

Lovely pictures.

Carole

Mike

Quote from: Carolepope on Jul 06, 2008, 17:07:24That's two of Mike's challenges you've got at least

Nope, this doesn't count.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

Why doesn't it count?

Mike

Because we haven't reached the 11th July yet.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

it's missing the star... :)

Carole

You mean to say it has to actually be done on 11th July?

So if it's cloudy, no-one will get it.

:evil:

Quoteit's missing the star...
Yes I noticed that, where has it gone?  It should be above Callisto.

Carole

Mike

Jupiter will only be passing by the star on 11th and 12th July. So if it is cloudy on those days you wont' be able to get it  :(

Carole

Oh I get it now.  It's that particular formation you are after.

Let's hope for a cloudless night.

Carole

Ian

failing that, I've got a bottle of Tippex.