• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

hello from John

Started by jeyre, Oct 08, 2008, 15:05:52

Previous topic - Next topic

jeyre

I am a Physics teacher who has just started teaching astronomy at GCSE level, this year. I am a complete novice. I don't own a telescope yet, only a good pair of binoculars. I am keen to get some basic advice on observing and equipment. I live in Chelsfield, Orpington. I am not yet a member of the OAS.
Regards to all,
John

Rick

Welcome, John. Have you been sent the usual "this is what we're about" mail yet?

Mike

Hello John,

Welcome to the forum. As you are so close why not pop along to a handful of our monthly meetings or observing sessions to meet the members and to have a chat? We are a very friendly and informal society that encourages novices. The observing sessions are a great way to get some hands on practise with telescopes without having to go out and buy your own kit just yet. You can get to see all different kidns fo equipment at these sessiosn as well as talk to the people that own them to get advice, hints, tips, etc.

We are happy for newcomers to come along to 2 or 3 meetings before making up their mind if they wish to splash out the princely sum of £20 and join us.

Our next meeting is on the 23rd October and the next observing on the 28th. Check out the main website for furtehr details.

Hope to see you there!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Greeting and welcome. 8)

There are a few of us who completed the GCSE Astronomy 5 years ago, so best of luck.

Mac.

Year 4 of my Astronomy Degree. :lol:

Carole

Mac it was only just over 3 years ago we completed the course.

Hi John,

I assume you mean you are a complete novice on the practical side if you are teaching GCSE Astronomy, and your physics will hold you in good stead as there's plenty of that in the course.

No worries, there are lots of opportunities to observe and meet every-one for advice etc.  Just come along to one of our sessions.

Carole

jeyre

Thanks to all for your welcome messages. I will try and attend one of your meetings.
All the best,
John