• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Calling all canon 350D Guru's. Fay, Tony G, Mark S.

Started by Mac, Jul 03, 2008, 14:13:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Calling all gurus

Yes mr Tony G you are a GURU when it comes to using a Canon DSLR with software.

Now i am the proud owner of a Cannon 350D, (Havent told the wife, and probably wont)

I'm calling for your help.

what software do you recomend, good or bad, for imaging, focusing, guiding, ect ect.

I have the following
Iris
MaximDL
K3ccd
DSLR Focus

Plus various odd's and sods, that i've collected over the years.

I havent used most of these with a camera as they were not compatable with my old nikon.

but i can work my way round them.

Cheers

Mac.

Fay

Well, Mac, I like to capture with DSLR Focus, stack with Deep Sky Stacker & Process with Photo shop

That is what I am used to.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Mac - I think you may end up getting different answers from everyone here but I'm with Fay - Focus & Acquisition with DSLRFocus (seems to work most of the time) - process with DSS (does a good job & it's free) - What camera do you have for guiding? K3 may be old but it does a good job & has some nice features - I've also spent a lot of time playing with PHD which seems to work OK (it is very easy to use). I think what ever you decide there will be someone in the society that has got experience with it.

John

MarkS

Focusing - DIY technique described in my members talk
Shutter Control - DIY parallel port lead + DIY Visual Basic software
Guiding - PhDGuiding
Acquisition - raw images acquired on CF card and transferred to PC afterwards
Preview of raw files:  Rawshooter
Stacking & processing (deep sky):  Iris and occasionally DSS
Stacking & processing (moon):  Iris/Registax
Occasional post-processing:  Photoshop Elements

Ian

has anyone looked at these AF confirm chips. I wonder if they could be programmed to support a telescope (no use for my Nikon though :( )

Tony G

Mac,

Is a Guru a person that phones up John P and says 'John this ain't working, whats wrong with it', ' John is this the right way to do this' and 'John, I've processed this, and I know Andromeda was there when I took the image?????'. If that is the case, then I@m a UBER Guru. :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

Mac

QuoteIs a Guru a person that phones up John P and says 'John this ain't working, whats wrong with it', ' John is this the right way to do this' and 'John, I've processed this, and I know Andromeda was there when I took the image?????'. If that is the case, then I@m a UBER Guru.

The guru has spoken, 8)
We are not worthy.

Aye that is a guru,

The reason is as you and others have the same camera, i was wondering which software you found the easyist to use, ect,ect.
with the Canon

rather then hunting round, trying different things, which i will do at a later state anyway.

I know how to use the software with the nikon, and its probably not too disimilar on the canon,

Except some software will allow full controll of the camera, where as none of them were compatable with my nikon.

Im hoping first light will be by the end of this month.

Fingers crossed. :roll:

Mac. :lol:

Might have a small garden party when its done. 8)