• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Deep Sky Camp - 1st August

Started by Mike, Jul 03, 2008, 06:39:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Not long to go now !!  :)

So who's going?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Ian

Quote from: Carolepope on Jul 03, 2008, 07:47:50
Me

Carole

Both of you? That'll be a tenner a night that will ;)

I'm going too, woohoo!

Fay

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mac

Im a possible at the moment. :-?

Will confirm later.
Mac

Tony G

Flis and I definitely (flis and I........ that's proper English innit). :)

Aunt Maude and Uncle Mabel (long story) possible????? :-?

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

JohnP

I hope to for at least one night.... John

MarkS

The Thing

I intend to be there. With the rest of you camping it up how could I miss it?

RobertM

Put me down as well but not sure for how many nights yet.  Need to find/borrow something to sleep in. 

Mike

Sounds like turn-out so far shouldn't be too bad.

Paul will miss this one - His first ever !!!

Ian

Quote from: Mike on Jul 04, 2008, 10:43:08
Sounds like turn-out so far shouldn't be too bad.

Paul will miss this one - His first ever !!!
You watch the numbers drop when the weather forecast for snow comes in...

Pity about Paul, where will he be?

Mind you, living where he does, every night is DSC night. Only with less nylon, beer and bad behaviour...

Mike

Quote from: Ian on Jul 04, 2008, 10:52:44...Pity about Paul, where will he be?.....

Delhi, India.

Right now he is suffering from serious Delhi Belly.

Whitters

Just switched the andrex for the one in the fridge :lipsrsealed:
Got a four hour trip to the Taj Mahal tomorrow, Haven't had a four hour period where the pressure hasn't built up to the red danger line for days now. May have to do a Paula Radcliffe.

I guess that was too much information :oops:

Miriam

Sorry, Jeff and I will be in Tenerife, so will miss DSC (again!)   :(

Robert, we do have a tent, fishing beds (very comfortable) and other camping equipment.
If you want to borrow any of it, let us know, and we can bring it to the meeting on Thursday.

RobertM

Thanks Miriam, I might very well take you up on that kind offer.  Will let you know before the meeting.

Ian

Jeff's not going to be there! Bummer, I had a whole conversation about the chemistry of chlorates lined up :(

Mike

OK, the new rules regarding DSC are as follows :-

Payment must now be made in advance and will be collected upon arrival, not when leaving as at previous camps. Please ensure you have the right money with you before you get there. It is £5 per person per 24 hours or part thereof (discretion will be applied for people just turning up for a short period and not staying overnight, etc.). Minors go free.

Please ensure that if you turn up after dark that you do not drive into the field with your vehicle lights on. Please park up outside and walk into the field to check with those present first before driving in. Obviously, if it is completely clouded over that is not necessary.

RobertM

Hi Miriam,

It was a very kind offer, but I'm borrowing a campervan so I shouldn't need your equipment. 

Many thanks

Ian

Robert, that does raise the expectation that you'll be playing Cliff Richard's Summer Holiday as you drive into the field...

Fay

Mike, owing to the fact that I am not in the USA, had to cancel, the day before,  because I got a kidney infection.  :cry: :cry:

I will proably come down for one day, but will not book a meal.

Thanks,

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

OK Fay. Look forward to seeing you.

Miriam

Hi Robert
Got the message about the campervan  - have a good time!

Carole

What time are the Friday arrivals planning on getting there?

I have started packing the car already, but have to do the Solar Eclipse session in the morning.

Carole

MarkS

Me? Between 9pm & 9:30pm

Carole, leave yourself plenty of time so you don't end up speeding !

Mike

Haven't even started packing yet. Going to the solar eclipse in the mornng, going home, cooking the chilli for dsc, packing, then driving to dsc. I am guessing some time in the afternoon about 3 maybe.

RobertM

Should be there by 7pm if the campervan makes it.

btw. are there any facilities such as loos and showers ?

JohnP

Showers... - RU having a laugh... :-) There is loads of sheep shit.....

There is a small loo with a hand basin (but you probably wouldn't want to spend too long in there).....  :lol: It what you call back to basics....

Cheers, John

(hope to see you all later but still not sure when as I have to go up London late this afternoon)

Mike

Quote from: RobertM on Aug 01, 2008, 11:16:34.....showers.....

LOL !!!   :lol:

Forgot you've not been before Robert.

Seriously if you do need a shower I always take a 'solar shower' that I rig up underneath a tree with a windbreak around it. Sounds like roughing it but trust me it gives a surprisingly good shower.

Carole

Just got back this afternoon.  We had a glorious sky on Friday evening - Mark's image on the Gallery attests to this, and even in the short time that it took to capture the laser drawings, star trails have formed.

There were about 6 tents, 2 caravans and a campervan while I was there, plus two who turned up for the evening/s only and we had a visit from Rose and Doug during the day. 

Saturday the sky cleared and we started with a good sky, but it clouded over later.  Lots of imaging done so expect lots of postings later.

Some rain, but the worst of it was at night.

Carole

Mike

Another excellent DSC with two really good nights. Even the DSC Virgin Liz enjoyed it !

Daniel

Damn, gutted I missed this one, when's the next?

Carole

Fri 28th Nov - Mon 1st Dec

There is also the booking I am organising for Kelling Heath in April (see other "events" posting.  One of the darkest skies in England. 

But:
a) We need to book early.
b) If we don't all book at the same time we run the risk of not being together.
If you're interested I am making the booking by the end of August £10 per night, 3 nights = £30 per pitch.
I need the money upfront I'm afraid.

Already 4 pitches booked with 3 or 4 other interested.

Carole

duckling

Despite the wet start on Saturday, at least it cleared early evening and gave us a clear (ish) evening from 9.30 to 1 am.

A little less dew would have made it easier, but I for one, enjoyed it.

Thanks for making a non member feel welcome, will any of you be at Hurstmonceaux?

Phil