• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Astrophotography Challenges for July 2008

Started by Mike, Jul 03, 2008, 06:22:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Does my Jupiter partly count as my wemcam won't see the moons unless it's right out of focus?

Carole

Ian

That's a challenge in itself Carole. It is possible to image the moons without overexposing the disc of Jupiter.

What is important with that is getting the focus spot on and having really good seeing and transparency, then setting the exposure setting to get as bright an image as possible without overexposing any of the colours :)

Carole

OK, I'll give it a go, but the only time I saw the moons the other night was when Jupiter was just a white over exposed disc. 

So my personal challenge for the month.

Carole

Mike

You should be able to get the moons easily. I did it many years ago with a far inferior webcam to yours. You can always take 2 images, one of Jupiter and then one of the moons and then merge them together into one picture. However, as Ian says, you should be able to get a properly exposed Jupiter with the moons in it.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Carole

Quote168 of 222 frames@ 15fps
(I think it was the following: min shutter speed, 3/4 brightness, 1/4 gain)
I could do that, but isn't that cheating?

Carole

Carole

Something like this?

taken on Tuesday 1st, so I guess that's why Europa is missing.

Will have another shot at it tonight hopefully.

Carole

Carole

Just realised I copied the wrong quote at 12.59. I meant to copy the following:

QuoteYou can always take 2 images, one of Jupiter and then one of the moons and then merge them together into one picture.
Then I said "I could do that but isn't that cheating?.

Thus, the picture above is a combination of two images, one of Jupiter and another of the moons taken with an over-exposed Jupiter with the better image of Jupiter superimposed.

Carole

Carole

Nope, I made a mistake there.  It is Callisto that is missing as it is way out to the left and out of the frame of the picture. 

Carole

Mac

Noctilucent Clouds.

Grabed this photo this morning on the way home from work.
03:55 Ealing Broadway. Looking Eastwards.

Full size image
http://www.belvedereconcertband.co.uk/Macs/Cloud.jpg

Mike

That link doesn't work and they don't look like noctilucernt clouds from the smaller image.

Rick

It's hard to tell from the small image (and your link goes to a 404), but I'd say there's a very good chance they are faint noctilucent clouds.

doug

Well done Carole. You are really coming on in leaps and bounds now, from one who can`t even get a decent pic of the moon.  Can`t wait for you to take a close up of Europa.
Always look on the bright side of life ...

Mac

Quote(and your link goes to a 404)
:oops:

Sorry forgot to upload the original.

Full size image
http://www.belvedereconcertband.co.uk/Macs/Cloudoriginal.jpg

Mike

Mike

OK I know the weather forecast isn't looking great but don't forget that tonight and tomorrow are the dates for the Jupiter challange.

Carole

I have it in my diary, fingers crossed for clear skies.

Carole

Carole

Back to the thread.  I looked on Starry Night and tonight seemed to be the closest to Mike's alignment challenge, so telescope set up hours ago, rain covers on at around 8pm.  10.30 Jupiter has risen, but is disappearing behind that tree, so I'll wait for another 1/2 - 3/4 hour so it's also a bit higher and past the tree.

Duhhh!! Clouds. 

It's now 1.12am and no sign of them clearing. 

Going to bed!!!

Carole

Fay

That sounds like a typical nights viewing Carole!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Well done for trying.  Astronomy is like that ...

I did the same for the lunar eclipse in February - set up all my equipment and then went to bed to get up at the required time.  Guess what?  Solid cloud ...

Ian

right. went out to take a pic of Jupiter.

Tree's have grown, so can't see if from my observing position.

Made a drawing.

Translated to ASCII art...

.      ..  O    .

My first hand drawing of an observation that is.

Ian

Sorry, I should label my drawing.

Star
      Callisto Ganymede Europa Jupiter Io

Instrument, Mark I eye ball (slightly used, optics a bit squiffy), 15x70 binoculars, mount two tired forearms.

The star is a little hard to make out, but could be mistaken as a fifth galilean moon :)

MarkS

This innovative and unique piece of work ought to be O.A.S. image of the month!

Carole

Ian, that is very amusing. 

Quoteeye ball (slightly used
Quotemount two tired forearms

It's no wonder the star was so faint as I think (from memory) is was a magnitude 12 (or thereabouts), I can't even see the moons with binoculars let alone such a faint star, but mine aren't as strong as yours, 8 x 40 or 10 x 50 or something.

Well done.

Carole

Mike

Even with a low magnification pair of binos the moons should be very clearly visible. Unless you have atrocious light pollution.

Carole

I often can't see things that others can see so maybe it's my eyesight. 

i.e. I have never seen Andromeda with the naked eye at DSC when others can.

I do wear monovision contact lenses so in actual fact am only seeing distant things with my right eye (my left lens is for reading).

In all other respects it is not a problem, it would be more of a problem to wear both lenses for distance because then I would have to have reading glasses over the top which as far as I am concerned defeats the object of wearing contact lenses.

Carole

Carole

Yes, it could also be light pollution as I can't see much below mag 3.96 on a good night (with the naked eye). 

Carole

Ian

The star I observed and painstakingly drew was alot brighter than mag12, I don't think you'd mistake a mag12 star for moon of Jupiter. Just taken a look on Cartes Du Ciel and the star I saw is listed as mag 7.9 which isn't too bad for binoculars.

The moons are tricky with 10x50 but the 15x70 make them dead easy. I was resting on the roof of my observatory though. I've observed Saturn's rings with both as well, although to be fair, a certain amount of imagination is required using the 10x50s.

Carole

Sorry I don't have my references when I reply from work, I just remembered it being a faint star.  It might well have been 7.9 mg, actually now your have said it, that does ring a bell now ( I had looked it up on Starry Night and zoomed in).

I don't think I've seen Saturn's rings with the binoculars either. 

My binoculars were bought for birdwatching (another of my hobbies) rather than Astronomy, so it's not surprising really. 

Carole

Fay

Ian I like your sense of humour, very funny!

By observatory, do you mean that dustbin that covers the mount?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

Dustbin?!?!!

It's one of Blackwalls finest compost bins I'll have you know ;)

mickw

QuoteBy observatory, do you mean that dustbin that covers the mount?

Stoppit Fay, I just spat beer over my laptop again  :(
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional