• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Possible Nocticulent clouds ?

Started by RobertM, Jul 03, 2008, 01:04:18

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

These appeared much later than the higher clouds so could they be nocticulent clouds ?  They certainly were moving fast and at extremely high altitude.

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10031/normal_nocticulent2_red.jpg

RobertM

Sorry I think these are just pretty clouds ....  :oops:

Fay

Bad sign, Robert, talking to yourself & answering your own questions............................I should know
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Fay, yes sorry you are right but I felt I had to correct myself before someone else did ;)

Spent over 2 hours doing polar alignment last night and it nearly drove me mad !  At least I hope to have solved some field rotations problems so should be ready to image on the next clear night ... hopefully the fireworks galaxy ... unless anything else thwarts my attempts.

Fay

Looks like tonight is the night, Robert. I will be interested in your image of Firework galaxy.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rick

Yep, those are just high normal clouds of the kind that'd appear dark if there were noctilucent clouds behind them. Noctilucent clouds are usually a blueish white.

Mike

No these are not noctilucent clouds. Noctilucent clouds are very obvious and look backlit. Plus, due to their extreme altitude tend to move quite slowly.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan