• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Image size etc query

Started by Fay, Jul 02, 2008, 14:25:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Thanks Mike, I will look at that this morning. Stacking in Maxim is not good for this size image. I did have a go yesterday but it was completely out. Robert had problems with his as well as images are so large. DSS does not give the option of star alignment.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Maxim should be able to cope with these images easily. We will give it a go tomorrow.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

When doing flat frames for the Canon, should the ISO be the same as the light frames?

Thanks

Ian

Quote from: Mike on Jul 03, 2008, 11:30:45
Maxim should be able to cope with these images easily. We will give it a go tomorrow.

I'd be worried about the memory requirements for maxim. It's got a habit of being a bit slow without a whole pile of images to organise, so when it's doing multi-megapixel stacking it could easily slow down so much it'd look like it's locked up...

Still think it's be best thing since sliced bread, although it's less tasty with marmalade on.

MarkS

Fay,

I don't use the same ISO - I use ISO 100 so I get a good set of noise-free flats.

Fay

RobertM

QuoteI'd be worried about the memory requirements for maxim. It's got a habit of being a bit slow without a whole pile of images to organise, so when it's doing multi-megapixel stacking it could easily slow down so much it'd look like it's locked up...

Actually Fay you get an out of memory error then it needs to be restarted, even V5 has the same problem although it takes a few more images to get it into that state.

Looking forward to your talk tommorow Mark, especially as I missed the last meeting. Will try to pick up som KK's from Tescos on the way home ...