• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Oh, and a quick jupiter!

Started by Daniel, Jul 07, 2008, 20:06:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Took this on the 12" seeing was awful, but even so managed to resolve more detail than I've been able to on the 8" on a good day

MarkS

Daniel,

You've captured some good detail there.  Red spot as well!  When was it taken?  What camera?  How many frames?  It's much better than my own recent attempt.

Carole

Wow, lots of detail AND the red spot.

Well done Daniel.

Please post details as per Mark's request.

Carole

Daniel

Can't exactly remember which night but it was last week some time, this was about 4000 frames stacked using the spc900 in registax and wavelets applied as well as unsharp masking in photoshop.

Unfortunately the camera drivers I use don't show the actual exposure used (just a slider) but it was right down to the longest possible as well as the gain being down to about 1/3 of the way up the slider

The Thing

Hi Daniel,

I have an SPC900 (unmodded) and use WcCtrl.exe (freeware) to adjust the settings rather than the default slider panel. This allows me to save configurations for each planet and reuse them as well as giving me the exposure numbers. It works with all capture software I have used to date.

I will be posting a Jupiter I did last week in France later - but an 80mm non-APO refractor doesn't compete with a 12 incher. Nice detail and colouration, something for em to aim for. Back in France next week (working) and the moon will be waning (can't see Jupiter at home).