• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M27/ modded Canon 350D

Started by Fay, Jun 27, 2008, 11:45:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Started off doing 600sec of Pelican, but clouds were arriving & a breeeze blew up, all upsetting the guiding.
Switched to something I could do with shorter subs. I planned to do more subs when I had finished flats & darks, taken during a cloudy bit. Software all started playing up, which got on my wick, so I did not do any more, but know that I needed at least another 15.

7x300 secs cls, Canon 350D mod, ED80 250608

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

Nice photo, would have looked better with the powermate :lol:

Fay

Thanks Mac, can't wait!!!!!!

RobertM

JohnP

Fay - that's came out a whole let better than the one you sent to me - Very nicely processed - looks like you have worked out how to process your modified DSLR images very quickly :-)

Cool,  John

Fay

Thanks, Robert & John. What I did was, I got excited & couldn't stop processing!!!!

My first attempt looked very garish & when I compared the two images it was so obvious.
I redid it all. stacked again in DSS, which sorts out the background automatically, & did minimum processing in PS.

Whitters

Nice image Fay, the colours look great. I have been out of the loop for a while, what mod have you applied to the 350?

MarkS

That image is really good Fay.   Plenty of H-alpha!!   A couple of hours of data (instead of 35 minutes) would make it excellent.

I'm glad you got DeepSkyStacker working well.  Once I get a filter from Baader I'll mod my own 350D -otherwise I might just give up waiting and use a glass replacement.

Fay

Thanks Mark, Paul.

Paul it has had a filter replacement & now has a Baader UV & IR one.
Mark, I have always got on ok with DSS, no problems. I did 7L, 3 Dark, 20 Flats& 20 flat darks & it took 20 minutes to sort it all out including the background.

Whitters

I am guessing the new filter allows H-a in but cuts enough IR to make it usable in the day? Or is it once modified an astro only camera?

Fay

Paul I have correction filter screwed into the end so it can be used as a normal camera. I don't think you have to have the filter, you can alter the white balance instead. I think I am correct in saying this.

Fay

Whitters

Problems you may experience without a corrective filter will be focusing IR light at the same point as visible.
I loke your image of M27, I hope you get the chance to get more images over the weekend.

Fay

I have taken images in daylight & they are ok.

My DSLR Focus is not working, so I need a new  Canon software program. I have just come in, it said 23% cloud & it was 99%!!!!!! I was glad, as the program did not work at all.