• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Wanted Canon capture program

Started by Fay, Jun 28, 2008, 23:32:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Does anyone use a capture program for Canon, must work with GPUSB Shoestring.
I give up with DSLR Focus.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Fay,

I was speaking to John P the other week, as I was having trouble with my dlsrfocus and John spoke to a few people onanother forum, but there is software out there but you'll have to pay again, :(.
Here is a link to some software that looks pretty good, if this is what you are after.

http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htm

Good Luck. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

MarkS

Fay,

What does DSLRFocus actually do?  What I mean is this - what functions does its replacement need to perform?

Mark

mickw

You can download EOS capture from here
http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010192.asp

Not sure if it's what you want though, I don't think it has the focusing thingy that comes in DSLR Focus
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

DSLR Focus will work with the serial cable to download raw images also it will work with my GPUSB Shoestring adaptor, a lot of the programs only work with say, LXUSB or DSUSB.

It is an easy program to use, you have an easy focus screen, where you touch the space bar & it immediately downloads the focus screen, so you keep pressing it until the image is in focus. It has a larger preview screen of the image you have taken & you control the camera settings via the program.

I have just downloaded a version of DSLR Focus from my desktop, which, at this moment seems to be working. But something always happens to screw it up. I have just been testing Maxim. It works, but I don't like it as much, I was looking at DSLR Shutter by Stark labs, who do PHD Guiding, but it only works with the DSUSB, I have tested that today & it does not work with my GPUSB.

Thanks Tony I have had a look at that program you suggested, & put it on the list.

A lot of the programs are expensive as they have the processing features etc, but I only want it to capture.

Fay

Forgot to say that, DSLR Focus, website is no longer available, also the Yahoo group has been deleted as well, as Chris Ventor is no longer doing it.
Any downloads now, would be from people who already have it.

Ian

that's unusual. I wonder if he's got a commercial project that's about to be released...

Fay

Ian,  all messages have now been deleted, on the Yahoo group site, because he was not going to develop the program any further. I went to the download page, but what I downloaded was empty.

JohnP

Mark,

DSLR Focus is a focus & acquisition piece of software - it enabes you to download quickly low resolution jpeg images to laptop you then  select a star & adjust focus hit spacebar & it updates image & gives you loads of information about width, height brightness of star etc. etc. You keep doing this until perfectly focused. Once focused you can then switch to LX mode & set up a sequence of long exposures say 10 exposures at 5mins each with 15 secs in between press a button & of it goes. You can save in raw format either to laptop or direct to camera.

I think it is a bit buggy but seems to work reasonably well for me. At the time I think it was the only s/w that supported these functions - it wasn't free you had to buy it.. I think that there are other programs around now - although they tend to do a lot more than just focus/ capture & so can be a bit expensive...

John

Rick

Quote from: Fay on Jun 29, 2008, 11:01:31
Ian,  all messages have now been deleted, on the Yahoo group site, because he was not going to develop the program any further.

Is this link related: http://www.dslrfocus.com/

Fay

Yes, Rick but when you download the folder is empty now.

John, you are more on Mark's technical level than me

mickw

Fay,
I don't know if I got lucky, but I've downloaded v3.3 and it's all there.
I tried installing it but as I don't have a "key" it won't work  :(
If you want it, I'll either bring it to the observing evening or email it to you.

Fay

Well, strange, Mick. I did have a duplicate on my desktop. I will let you know. Thanks

Fay

Well Mick , that is weird. I wanted to go into Yahoo to see if my problem was in there. For the last few days the site has been blank. I have just gone in & it is there again. I also have a mail with key in it with the download site, when I tried to re download in the last few days, I downloaded a blank folder. I have done it today & it is there, but no activity on the site

mickw

And you started drinking when ?   ;)

Fay

I only had a couple, at lunchtime. If you go to The Bulls Head in Chislehurst, you can't afford any more, you have to get a loan out!!!!

A Gin & Tonic is £4.30!!

Well, Mick I don't know what happened there, perhaps they took it off & put it all back again   :D

mickw

Please don't say a G & T was £4.30 to someone of my age, I am very fragile  ;)

The DSLR forum said that the program was no longer supported which is a shame because it seemed great - not that I had a chance to use it  :(