• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

ngc6888 - last night...

Started by JohnP, Jun 11, 2008, 11:41:52

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

That looks really very good now Chris.

Why don't you think the cooling is working properly ?  I can't see anything from the image that would lead me to that conclusion.

Fay

I think the same as Robert, very nice, but what is there about it that makes you think cooling is not all that?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

MarkS

Chris,

It's easy to investigate your thermal noise and it can be done on a cloudy night.

Generate 2 darks for each of the following exposures whilst keeping temperature more or less constant:
1 min, 5 min, 10 min, 15 min, 20 min

Difference the two 1 min exposures and calculate the standard deviation of the difference frame.
Do the same for the other exposure lengths.

You now have a table of s.d. versus exposure length.
From this table you can draw a graph and calculate:
1) Gain (electrons/ADU)
2) Read noise (electrons) at this temperature
3) Dark current (electrons/sec) at this temperature

I'll dig out the exact details on how to derive this info from the graph.

I did this for my Canon both at room temperature and then again at fridge temperature.

Mark

RobertM

Hi Mark, that's very interesting and it would be useful to have that information.

Did you see that some guy in Australia modded a fridge to put his SLR in ! It was a small fridge but even so I think thats taking things a bit far ... and looks a bit odd stuck on the end of the telescope - can't remember whether the fridge was mounted on the telescope or the other way around - made me laugh anyway.

The Thing

Hi Mark, yes I agree that is very interesting, I wondered if I could find a use for a little 12v plastic beer fridge. My Minolta DSLR is very noisy unless its a nice cold night. I am in awe at some of the picture you guys produce. I have only been successful with planets to date.