• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

IC1396 Elephants Trunk

Started by Fay, Jun 10, 2008, 10:49:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Ic1396 Elephants Trunk in Cepheus.

8x480 secs  Ha, SX M7, 0.8 fr, WO ZS66

Not sure I have processed this ok. Will have another go later. I was a bit confused with the flats, only second time I have done them. I was not sure if it was right that I did 20x10 secs as it was thru Ha filter, to get images up to 29,000. This image is processed without the flats, but it looks no different to the one with flats.

Probably needs lot more images, but I did not get indoors until 2am.

Humidity went after a while & a lovely clear night. Trouble is, it is never really that dark.
I started off doing M27, but tree was half in the way.

It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

What a lovely image Fay !  It's good that someone managed to get something worthwhile.

If I may suggest a cosmetic improvement to increase it's impact - that would be to display it in the correct Ha colour.  Don't ask me how, I've never needed to do it yet ! Maybe one of the experienced imagers could chip in here with some tips...

I spent last night getting the mount on the pier and polar aligning.  Annoyingly it was totally still last night which meant that a single leaf from the next door neighbours tree obscured Polaris.  I wasn't able to use the polar finder and so had to resort to drift alignment for the first time.  LT batteries then gave up at 12:30 so had to call it a night.

Robert

Rocket Pooch

Nice one Fay, is that the full resolution of the image?

Oh and yes the woes of new kit :-)

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

That is nice Fay on a tough object - well done & tracking looks like it was spot on - John

Fay

Thanks everyone. I am going to have another go at the processing, would like more contrast.
When the 350D comes back, it will be a good object to try it out on.

Fay

Robert, we have got to get our finger out before you get going at full throttle!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fay

Yes, Chris it is full resolution

Fay

Robert, I did try giving IC1396 a false Ha colour, which comes up quite good, with Astronomy Tools, but I know I have not suffered in getting it!!!

I will try & obtain them the hard way, tonight!

JohnP

Fay - I'll be really impressed if you go back to the same subject two nights running... John

Fay

Are you trying to say I have no patience? Although I do strain at the leash a bit!!!!!!!!!! Must get control

MarkS

Lovely image Fay - well done!   It's a very tempting target once I've modded my Canon.

You were right to stop after 2am - it starts to get light then.  I reckon we only get 2 hours of reasonable darkness at this time of year.