• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Another M27

Started by MarkS, Jun 09, 2008, 21:46:59

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Nice work Mark, certainly a worthwhile mod.

I wasn't expecting the difference to be quite so dramatic
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Fay

Mark, that is really good. A very good improvement.

I tried to do NGC888 & the Veil. I have tried a couple of times, but have assumed, as the image is quite light & all over red, that the sky is too bright at the moment. Although a lot of red is expected in that area.

I was testing all evening to see how I could get a reasonable frame regarding lightness. Around 12.30, I tried out a 600 sec of NGC888. It was the darkest it had been, but very red all over.

Do you think I should alter the red component, even though I was in a very red area? Also, do you use Photoshop for processing? I am not sure how to use the levels & curves with  RGB all in the same frame.

Fay
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Fay

Mark, I will sort myself out & put the image on the forum. I did various times during the evening, but feel for Ha I need the longer exposures.

MarkS

Fay,

What you are describing is exactly what I found last night - the background was quite red (even with a CLS filter) and all the stars were very red.  This is exactly what you expect to find with a modded camera.  This is why I scaled back the red channel using RGB balancing.  I don't use Photoshop (except on rare ocasions) but I'm sure there must be an equivalent way to re-adjust the balance of the  RGB channels.

Mark

Fay

I used a CLS filter as well. Earlier on I did some exposures with 0.8 FR, but decided to take it off.They were so light.

Rocket Pooch

Oh, I like the after.

Mark/Fay I HAVE A 2" FILTER I HAVE NOT USED YET (BAARDER UHC-S), YOU CAN BORROW IT... 

But you house is subject to repossession if you do not return the filter in original condition.

HINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarkS

The "after" image with slightly more sympathetic processing.  The bluish star right at the centre is more obvious now.

Fay

Mark, fantastic perfect image, camera mod obviously paid off.
Can't believe the time you were up, this morning!

MarkS

Thanks Fay, I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I'm looking forward to some images from your modded 350D ...

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

JohnP

Mark - that does look good - once you get your guiding sorted it'll be excellent.... John

Rick

Today's APOD image makes an interesting comparison:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080626.html

MarkS

That's a beautiful APOD image.  But he has an unfair advantage by using a robotic telecope in Hawaii !

Ian

does that mean you don't consider yours to be robotic?

Anyway, who needs Hawaiian skies? Take advantage of the sky glow to get shorter exposures. More time drinking beer :)

Rocket Pooch

I'm in wales next week, so you should have clear skies Tues/Wed