• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Sphinx SXD, apologies for the dribble

Started by Rocket Pooch, Jun 01, 2008, 08:53:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Pooch

Ok I have still not used this is anger, but for the 1st time yesterday I set it up with all the correct parts, mount, network cable for ASCOM, ASCOM Driver, telescopes, dual mounting brackets etc.

First comments, I think the Starbook is brilliant, I know I might have to put some ND Filters onto the screen but boy is the alignment simple compared to the EQ6 SkyScan, all you do with it is look at the screen, look up and the sky and go "err ok I know that that star is" and align the two, I'll show you this at DSC, obviously unlike the Skyscan you get a picture of what it is you are looking for as well.

I did measure the PE on this as well, its less than my EQ6 at +7 -6, 13 total, my EQ6 is 16 total and this is with new bearings.  Apparently if you do the same with the SXD I did with the EQ6 the total can goto 7 in total, but its still less than a year old so I'm not going to muck about with it.

Another really good point, on the EQ6 EQ Mod platform if ASCOM falls over at all you have to setup again, with the Shpinx you can just re-comment and the mount tells your software where it is pointing so there's no starting again, cool eh!

Now, just got to wait for the camera to arrive and some clear skies and lets see what this setup can do, I need to catch up with Mark and Robert.

Oh and a fond farewell to the HX916, its been paid for so will be out the door next week providing the cheque does not bounce.  Here's my best with it, one form the UK three from France, lets see what I can do with a camera 50% more sensitive and will a third of the readout noise!

MarkS

I love those images Chris - they're all stunning.

Fay

What can I say, all superb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Stop showing off !!!

Very nice images Chris.  Your mount sounds like it's very similar to mine, quick polar then a one star alignment that the mount electronics remember - easy peasy.  I may not have Starbook but The Sky PE (although bloatware) works in a similar way.  Sounds like a great mount, I'm sure you'll find Japanese mounts are quality whatever the size.

Fay

I was going to say that, Robert, but did not want to rain on his parade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Hope your camera doesn't take as long as that motorised filter wheel to materialize, I gave up and bought one second hand.

Rocket Pooch

Na the motorised filter wheel is with the camera :-) and yes I was showing off :-) can't wait to get out in the field again....

Ian

it's good to hear you're pleased with the kit Chris. Vixen do make some seriously good kit. Even if you need to wear shades with the starbook.

I'll be interested in seeing your results with that new Atik too :)