• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Moonlite CR2 Focuser

Started by JohnP, May 30, 2008, 15:01:27

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Just bought myself a 2nd hand Moonlite CR2 focuser to replace the 'oh so crappy one' on my Intes Micro MN56. I need to make an adapter plate & drill/ tap a few holes etc. but nothing too major. It is a very low profile focuser (which I need for my scope) - the biggest mod I will have to do is shorten the drawtube length - it keeps its low profile by racking the drawtube into the scope & as a consequence with the way I have to position it the drawtube will actually poke into the main lightpath.. :-( Anyway hope to get all mods done by next Thursday so I'll post a few pics once complete.

I got it at a good price so I'm chuffed - it'll be a worthwhile upgrade to the scope.

Cheers,  John.

RobertM

Yes, that should make it a breeze to focus.  Does it have the 10:1 reduction ?

Just ordered a Robofocus motor for the NGF-S so we'd better tread carefully here least we upset the weather like Daniel and Chris did ...

JohnP

Hi Robert - yes it has :-) To be honest though even if it hadn't got the 10:1 it still would have been a zillion times better than what I currently have. The Robofocus sounds very nice - I'll have to save the luxury of one of those though for when I get my 'remote operated obbsy'....maybe in 10 yrs time... :-( I'll be interested in taking a close look at that though.

Cheers,  John

MarkS

Quote from: JohnP
it keeps its low profile by racking the drawtube into the scope & as a consequence with the way I have to position it the drawtube will actually poke into the main lightpath.. :-(

Diffraction Spikes!!!!

JohnP

Mark - I'm going to cut the drawtube length down on the lathe... this will reduce focus travel but i'm only really interested in a few mm either side of focus & it will stop it entering the lightpath. If I need to rack the focuser out further I can always use extension tubes..

John

Mike

I'm quite interested in the moonlite focuser with the electric focuser for the ED80. What is the build quality like John?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

what lathe have you got John? It's a tool I'd dearly like to have but have neither the room or the money at the moment :(

JohnP

Mike - quality looks superb...

Ian - I haven't got a lathe but I know a man (in fact a very good friend) that has full size lathe, miller.. etc. so I can get bits & pieces done. I have been thinking of getting a little hobby lathe myself though - something like the C3 model here:

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Machines-Accessories/Lathes

It would be great for making up adaptors etc.. Only problem is I have a 1971 MGB occupying my garage that I need to get rid of first....

John

Ian

They look a good price, but I'd be inclined to pay the extra to get them rebuilt and the bearings upgraded. Small lathes like that can suffer from problems with the spindle and you'd never get a good cut with any lateral play in it.

I've got a 1958 Series 2 Landrover in mine, need to get rid too. Wish I had the time to get it running again, it was lots of fun...  :cry:

JohnP

OK - Got it installed yesterday with a bit of 'drilling & tapping' & cutting on the lathe - as you do.... Install went smoothly (even after a few Stella's...). Below a few pictures - pretty chuffed as it's very low profile.. Just need to give it a try out now - hopefully this weekend.

Cheers,  John