• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Does anyone know the width and thread size of a mounting bolt?

Started by Daniel, May 27, 2008, 16:11:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

Hey all, As you know i've just upgraded my mount, but right now can't mount anything to my losmandy style side by side plate as the bolts I've got aren't long enough to go all the way through (the other side which i was using before and has a vixen style bar on it is countersunk and didn't have any problems fitting all the way through)

What i was wondering is if I could pick up these bolts or similar in a DIY shop, and if so, what size would the thread be and the width?

Here's my side by side plate in case that helps show what i mean http://www.astrodevelopments.co.uk/  (it's the M3)

mickw

Very likely to be 1/4 Whitworth (BSW)

https://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/
Look under "bolting products" - small quantities of any type you want although not very cheap  :(

Unless you're off to the U.S. in which case where they will be dirt cheap  :)
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Daniel

Hi Mick, thank's a lot for that, although i couldn't find them on the website you mentioned, they seem to be the same ones that can be used to mount camera's on tripods so i shall look into that, even if i have to buy bulk, it'll be a whole lot cheaper than the alternatives

Daniel
:O)

RobertM

Hi Daniel,

I have a fair number of stainless steel hex bolts of the right threading sizes which you are welcome to.  Let me know if you're interested.  I suspect you'll have plenty of time - after having bought that much kit you're unlikely to see clear skies for quite a while ;)

Robert

Daniel

Hi Robert, Thanks, I'd definetly be interested, I spoke to AstroDevelopments today and they informed me the plate I have right now isn't suitable for mounting upside down as I have been, though I'm going to try anyway, I can't see how it wouldn't work so long as everything is screwed down tightly enough!