• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Talking of Cleaning

Started by mickw, May 10, 2008, 09:32:26

Previous topic - Next topic

mickw

Are LCD screens slightly porous ?

I have developed a couple of blotches on my laptop that look like stains  :(

Nothing is apparent looking at the screen at an angle and it looks clean.

Any ideas ?

Ian, I will not try boiling water, the blowlamp didn't work so why should water  :lol:

Forgot to mention - I have spilled beer on it a couple of times - such a waste  :cry:
Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

Mike

No they aren't. Again, get a lens cloth and run it under a tap, then ring it out until it is just slightly damp and clean your screen. Dry it off with a second cloth.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

The Thing

I have some stuff that I use , IXOS anti-static Screen Cleaning Gel Spray. I got it from John Lewis and its specifically for LCD screens. Leaves a pretty good smear free finish.

mickw

I've given the screen a good clean using Mikes method, then using spectacle cleaner, no joy with either.
Too bone idle to go shopping for cleaners  :oops:

There are now no marks on the surface of the screen, all I can think of is that somehow beer has got "into" the screen.

It's no big problem, just annoying.

Tony G

TONY'S WORDS OF WISDOM

Mick,
You could kill two birds with one stone here, first locate the said blotches, drill a 6mm hole through the first layer of the screen, and quickly insert a straw. Then slowly suck the beer from the screen. This should remove the said blotches and you can enjoy a beer at the same time. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

just as long as the blowtorch didn't burn off the alcohol.

Just how disappointed would you be to find your beer turned into Kaliber?

mickw

Kaliber !
Fake beer in my laptop  :o

Tony, I shall have to reject your advice.  I could not bear to discover fake beer, frankly I would rather not know, it's too scary to contemplate.

I shall carry the blotch on my screen as a constant reminder to take greater care of my beer  :cry: