• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pier.

Started by Mac, May 24, 2008, 21:55:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Hurah,

I've finally got the go ahead for my pier.

This is the design I've come up with, any comments or improvements.

The very bottom is going to be in a concrete base, with the bolts about two inches above the top.

the top plate bolts will allow me to level it independently of the base, just in case its off of vertical.

My uncle is going to do all the fabrication,

i have asked him if he would make one for any members of the society, and he is more then willing,

I'll let you know how much if you're interested.

The only thing that would need to be changed will be the top plate,

as this is the drilling's i need for my Meade wedge.

details.
30" high (pier) + 3" for top plate.
Square 12"

JohnP

Sounds good Mac - I look forward to seeing some pictures of the pier when it's complete. Only comment I have is 'watch your back when you do all that digging...' :-)

John

RobertM

Hi Mac,

I have 4 x 12" 20mm threaded studs plus another a metre long and matching nuts (large number) going for free if you're interested.   They're the leftovers from my pier bolts.

Can be picked up any time, I'm keen to get rid of them ...

If you wan't new then the cheapest place by far is ScrewFix on the Sevenoaks way.

Robert

Mac

i'll definatly be interested in the studs and bolts, i'll contact you nearer the completion date.

cheers

Mac

Mac

Update.

I've finally managed to get the drawings and tube over to my uncle
for him to build the pier.

Will post photos when finished.

Cant decied on the colour, I wanted pill box red, but the wife wants something to blend in.

Will have to make a start on the hole now though.

ps. Havent managed to test the fibre for coliminating the scope yet. but will epp you informed

Mac

Any coments welcome.

Is this hole deep enough?

Should stop vibrations.

Mike

Is that you at work on The Underground?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

It's just as well I don't think I've seen Mac argue with anyone. I'd be worried about the vibrations caused by them tapping on the bottom of the pier.

JohnP

bloody hell...! that's deep RU sure that's not a bit too deep.... that has to be 2m....! I was only thinking 2-3 ft max...

John

Ian

don't worry John, Mac didn't get to DSC coz he was getting both his legs amputated. It is only 3 ft deep :)

Mac

Silly me, posted the soakaway hole, and yes that did end up 8ft deep, :o

these are the ones.

Looking north

East

South

West

So i had no choice at all as to where to put it.

I roughly aligned the pier before diging the hole.

and now its back where it should be.

all i need now is a clear night to align the pier with my polar scope and then pour the concrete.

Wait a few days and then tighten everything up, and align the scope.

I still need to add the top mounting plate as per the diagram and level that up.

Will post more later.

Mac.

Mike

I think your going to have a lot of trouble with vibration and alignment balancing it on a plank like that. Why don't you try concreting it into the ground instead it will be far more rigid.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

ah but that's not any old plank. It's an upright from some Ikea shelving, and that's much more rigid. They've tested them with robots donchaknow.

Mac

:o

thats where i've been going wrong. :lol:

Forgot to mention, the hole is just over 2ft deep by 3ft * 3ft.

Tony G

Mac,

I thought you were popping down to see Baz (in person) to ask him about his pier and observatory. That's some bloody hole, :o  it ain't an extension onto the Jubilee line that good ol' Boris has commissioned.
I can just see it now.....................................

Still it will help in getting to work on time. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

Update.

Dont use wickes calculator to work out the number of bags needed for filling a hole!!

Managed to align the base last night, woke at 3am to find clear skies, hurah.
Dont know what the neighbours made of me prancing around in a dressing gown though.

Concrete base is now poured. roll on next week.
The weather forcast for next week will be clear skies untill i get out there and start setting it up.

ps
If anyone wants 13 bags of ballast and 2 unopened bags of cement let me know, free to a good home.

Mac.

Fay

Mac, you are funny. That first set of hole pictures brought everyone out in a sweat!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

What does the ballast look like? Could it be used to cover flowerbeds?

Mac

Its just wickes, sand and gravel mix.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Aggregate-Sand+Ballast/Ballast/invt/220111&temp=largeimage

you could cover a flower bed with it, but all you would be left with is stones, after the sand has washed away.

JohnP

Mac - If Mike doesn't want it I'll take it off your hands - I'll be doing my pier hole soon...

John:-)

Mac

You more then welcome,

In the end i used 4 bags of cement and 24 bags of ballast.

That was for a 3 * 3 * 2 hole.

Rocket Pooch

Quote from: JohnP on Aug 17, 2008, 18:24:54
If Mike doesn't want it I'll take it off your hands - I'll be doing my pier hole soon...

What on earth is that all about!!!!   "I'll be doing my pier hole soon" blimey I didn't know you we're like that!!!

JohnP

Chris,

You just made me fall off the chair laughing.... :-)

Good start to a rainy wet miserable Monday.....

Mac

Update.

As you can probably guess, i've finished the pier and it started raining almost instantly,
Sorry.

First Bit

Top plate

Leveling

Hows that for level.

Finished

Well nearly, just got to clean the pier and repaint in hammerite

First light comming soon.

JohnP

Hey - that looks pretty damned good Mac - I'm impressed.. Does it feel solid..? I'll be interested in how long vibrations take to die out when you whack the side of the tube (when it's all set up).

Great Job,  John

Mac

It feels pretty solid and as for the vibrations,

i'll do a tap test when the scope is mounted.

probably some time at the weekend.

Mac

Fay and tony, where did you get your remote cables for the canons?
Or did you make them yourselves.

cheers

Mac,.

Fay

Mac, I bought mine from Amazon, I think.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Tony G

Mac,
I got a spare one in the car which I think I was going to give to someone, but they already had one, so see me next week at the meeting and its yours at no cost, but could you dig an extension onto the Northern line to my garden, so it will make it easier to get to Colindale :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Mac

ok, cheers.

Do you want your stop to be a terminus, interchange or just a station :lol:

Just so i know how many paddys i need to dig the hole, to be sure.

no quite the irish,

Mac.

Carole

Very informative and useful looking at all those photos Mac.  If I ever get around to doing this myself I have a good idea how it all works.

Hope you're going to show some photos of the scope mounted on it as well.

Carole

Mac

QuoteHope you're going to show some photos of the scope mounted on it as well.

Will do, im trying to ind something to put over it to preotect it from the elements,

I,m thinking along the lines of a large green bin, and then some sort of tarpaulin over it,

At least that way the bin will keep it waterproof.

In fact im off to B & Q as we speak.

Tony G

Mac,

BBQ covers make good weatherproof covers.

Tony G

Mac

Thats what i was thinking of, and guess what, i found an outdoor table cover.

And if anyone can guess exactly the words the wife muttered i'll take you out for a meal. :lol:

I'll give you a clue, it started with, WHAT THE FUC........................... :oops: :o

Water proof.  £6.50 B & Q

Not so in your face  £7.50 B&Q

All i need to do now is the fine adjustments.

Mac.

Mike

Not going to build an observatory/shed around it?

Mac

Nope it was bad enough getting permission for this.

**********FIRST LIGHT TONIGHT*************