• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Pier.

Started by Mac, May 24, 2008, 21:55:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

Hurah,

I've finally got the go ahead for my pier.

This is the design I've come up with, any comments or improvements.

The very bottom is going to be in a concrete base, with the bolts about two inches above the top.

the top plate bolts will allow me to level it independently of the base, just in case its off of vertical.

My uncle is going to do all the fabrication,

i have asked him if he would make one for any members of the society, and he is more then willing,

I'll let you know how much if you're interested.

The only thing that would need to be changed will be the top plate,

as this is the drilling's i need for my Meade wedge.

details.
30" high (pier) + 3" for top plate.
Square 12"

JohnP

Sounds good Mac - I look forward to seeing some pictures of the pier when it's complete. Only comment I have is 'watch your back when you do all that digging...' :-)

John

RobertM

Hi Mac,

I have 4 x 12" 20mm threaded studs plus another a metre long and matching nuts (large number) going for free if you're interested.   They're the leftovers from my pier bolts.

Can be picked up any time, I'm keen to get rid of them ...

If you wan't new then the cheapest place by far is ScrewFix on the Sevenoaks way.

Robert

Mac

i'll definatly be interested in the studs and bolts, i'll contact you nearer the completion date.

cheers

Mac

Mac

Update.

I've finally managed to get the drawings and tube over to my uncle
for him to build the pier.

Will post photos when finished.

Cant decied on the colour, I wanted pill box red, but the wife wants something to blend in.

Will have to make a start on the hole now though.

ps. Havent managed to test the fibre for coliminating the scope yet. but will epp you informed

Mac

Any coments welcome.

Is this hole deep enough?

Should stop vibrations.

Mike

Is that you at work on The Underground?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

It's just as well I don't think I've seen Mac argue with anyone. I'd be worried about the vibrations caused by them tapping on the bottom of the pier.

JohnP

bloody hell...! that's deep RU sure that's not a bit too deep.... that has to be 2m....! I was only thinking 2-3 ft max...

John

Ian

don't worry John, Mac didn't get to DSC coz he was getting both his legs amputated. It is only 3 ft deep :)

Mac

Silly me, posted the soakaway hole, and yes that did end up 8ft deep, :o

these are the ones.

Looking north

East

South

West

So i had no choice at all as to where to put it.

I roughly aligned the pier before diging the hole.

and now its back where it should be.

all i need now is a clear night to align the pier with my polar scope and then pour the concrete.

Wait a few days and then tighten everything up, and align the scope.

I still need to add the top mounting plate as per the diagram and level that up.

Will post more later.

Mac.

Mike

I think your going to have a lot of trouble with vibration and alignment balancing it on a plank like that. Why don't you try concreting it into the ground instead it will be far more rigid.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Ian

ah but that's not any old plank. It's an upright from some Ikea shelving, and that's much more rigid. They've tested them with robots donchaknow.

Mac

:o

thats where i've been going wrong. :lol:

Forgot to mention, the hole is just over 2ft deep by 3ft * 3ft.

Tony G

Mac,

I thought you were popping down to see Baz (in person) to ask him about his pier and observatory. That's some bloody hole, :o  it ain't an extension onto the Jubilee line that good ol' Boris has commissioned.
I can just see it now.....................................

Still it will help in getting to work on time. ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson