• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Hello from Duncan

Started by The Thing, Apr 27, 2008, 14:39:47

Previous topic - Next topic

The Thing

Hello Everyone,

I have been to a couple of meetings now and joined at the last one (24 April). You can spot me easily as I am 6'7".

I have had a telescope for 2 years but always been interested in the stars. The best sky I have seen was in Papua New Guinea from a helipad clearing in the jungle (this was in a previous life). The colours I could see with my naked eyes was astonishing, if only I had known what I was looking at!. Now I am stuck with the orange glow of Beckenham highlighted by the luminescent skies of Croydon to the west. This is a shame as I getting into galaxies at the moment.

My equipment list grows like topsy, especially since I started imaging. My current project is to make an electric focuser from an electric screwdriver - not my idea and it nearly works.

Meade LX90 8" LNT UHTC
Meade standard wedge
Various 2" eyepieces 5mm-40mm
Various 1.25" eyepieces 9mm-26mm
Antares 15mm Illuminated Reticle
Moonfish 2" diagonal
Moonfish 2" ED 2x Barlow
Telrad finder
Green Laser and bracket
Sorbothane blocks (under tripod legs to damp vibration - very effective)
Meade 10x50 binoculars (the £29.99 ones)
Various things for attaching a Konica Minolta DSLR afocally and at prime focus
Phillips SPC900NC webcam
A plethora of dew heaters and a Kendrick controller
An EQ1 mount with drive for DSLR widefield imaging
...and not enough room to store it all!

JohnP

Hi welcome to the OAS Dunc. I was at the last meeting but didn't meet you - sorry - hopefully get to meet you next month. Sounds like you have a good selection of equipment. Focusser project sounds interesting.

Cheers,  John

Mike

Hi DUncan. I did meet you at the last meeting. Welcome to the society.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

Hi Duncan, good to know you are still around!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Rocket Pooch

Hi Duncan,

I did see you at the last meeting, hopefully you will be able to come to one of the DSC.

Chris

The Thing

Deep Sky Camp sounds right up my street, Tuesnoad sounds like a bad cold, lets hope not!. I also will be going to Herstmonceux in September as its a great event and you get to play with the big telescopes.

Rocket Pooch

Small point, but where would you get a sleeping bag to fit?

Tony G

As everyone else has said already, Welcome to the OAS and so it looks like we have someone else now to pester. :D

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

The Thing

Two sleeping bags zipped works fine for me!

Tony G

I'll Have to try that one!!!!! ;)

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Ian

Tony, who are you trying to kid??? ;)

Anyway, sheep get a bit hot in sleeping bags.

Erm, ahem, er, allegedly, of course.