• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Mark - ISS

Started by JohnP, May 20, 2008, 13:45:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

did you manage to get the software to controll your mount?

JohnP

Fay - Looks like tomorrow night will be the last decent pass for about 6 weeks.... :-(

John

Fay

Oh, 6 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I sussed it out for tonight, but no good. I think there may be a chance of getting out there tomorrow. Will you try as well?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Ian

see if you can image the poo currently trailing behind...

Fay

Rushed into the garden. Managed to find a star 5 mins before ISS due & focused. Realised I needed the FR & one extension tube.

Flew to the other end of the garden, as would not have been able to see ISS in that position. Reset computer but could not find 1/1000 of sec so had to leave it on 1/2000, which seemed ok. ISS crept up & surprised me. Got it on chip, but I was moving so much it was like a firefly dancing about all over the place. Trouble was then, I know it would never have aligned, but Registax would not open it, must be because it was 356 MB!!

So, how to keep a lot more still & keep the file size low.

Any ideas?

MarkS

Is it an AVI file?  If so, download VirtualDub - it's designed for video editing but allows you to examine an AVI file frame by frame.  The good frames can be copied to the clipboard (one at a time using the "Video" menu - in my ancient version of VirtualDub) and then pasted into your favourite image editor (PaintShopPro? Photoshop?).  If you save those individual frames, you can open a whole load of them in Registax ...

MarkS

Quote from: Mac
did you manage to get the software to controll your mount?

Yes - thanks Mac.  But I haven't tried it out yet ...

Fay

Mark, thanks for the info on VirtualDub. I have downloaded it & will try it out later. Don't hold a lot of hope though. There is a tutorial involving the program in Practical Astronomer this month.

MarkS

Cloud cover looks prohibitive tonight - so we'll have to wait 'til July for the next ISS attempts ...

Fay

That program is really promising, Mark. My AVI was too much all over the place. I sat for quite a while deleting the frames where ISS was too far off centre & opening in Registax, which did try to stack them but kept stopping as frames were still not suitable enough. Never mind, it's all practise. It was not in focus anyway! I think a lot of the problem was that I did not have time to compose myself & rest the scope on my shoulder. I was holding it in mid air!

Mike

Quote from: Fay on May 31, 2008, 22:40:39....... rest the scope on my shoulder. I was holding it in mid air!

Isn't it supposed to be on a tripod?
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I find it easier to hold the WO rather than manipulate it on the tripod. Although I will have another go with it.

Rick

MarkS

Lovely pics - I wish it really was me taking them!

I've never seen a barn door tracker quite that complex.

Rick

Yeah. Gives it a whole new perspective. ;)