• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Imaging Session 22 - 13th June (Changed from 6th June)

Started by Mike, May 10, 2008, 10:25:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

The 22nd Imaging Session will be held on Friday 13th June at 8pm (PLEASE DO NOT ARRIVE BEFORE 8PM !!!!!! )

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A CHANGE OF DATE FROM THE PUBLISHED DATE OF 6TH JUNE!!!!

This is for the astrophotographers or people interested in learning about astrophotography to get together and do some imaging. Anyone else who wants to come to watch and learn, or just do some observing is also welcome. No equipment or prior knowledge is needed.

Hot and cold drinks and nibbles are provided.

You are welcome to stay overnight if it is clear and you wish to do some astrophotography (or watch others do it). Bring a sleeping bag if you are staying overnight. Bring an extension lead if you need mains power. You are more than welcome to bring your own equipment along.

Please note that anyone is welcome, even if you have no equipment and just want to watch and learn.

If you wish me to do a talk on  specific subject related to astrophotography I will be more than wiling to do so. However, please give me at least 7 days notice prior to the meeting to give me time to prepare. If it is clear we will go outside and do some astrophotography and you will get a chance to watch and learn. If it is cloudy we will stay inside and do a presentation or just haev an informal chat about whatever you wish.

These sessions are very informal and relaxed and it is a chance to meet up with other astrophotographers and 'pick their brains' on a subject of your choice in a relaxed atmosphere.

For further information send me a Private Message or email me.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

mickw

Growing Old is mandatory - Growing Up is optional

MarkS

Mike

Carole

I finally went out this evening (it's not even dark yet) and set up to do my first imaging for several months having only achieved very basic stuff before that.  I wanted to try all the controls out before it got dark. I had no intention of doing a video at this stage as I had not even aligned the scope but just wanted to get my settings sorted out and the moon focused on the chip.  I thought I would take a single frame for good measure while I was at it and somehow managed to take a short video. 

Anyway the upshot of this posting is to say I now remember why I got disheartened before because after that I was unable to get image capture to work at all, could not get the box up and kept getting "access violation".  Closed and opened the software, repeatedly switched from Image Capture to Sequence processing and back again as this sometimes does the trick (which it did the first time this evening), but it just would not work again.  So once again I have given up. 

I would be grateful if some-one could look at my software on Friday as there has to be something wrong with it.  Why would it work sometimes and not others?

Carole

Carole

Well after my last posting I decided to give it one more go after shutting down and re-starting the laptop and it started working again.  Got two crappy images of the Moon, I don't know how any-one manages to get a whole curve of the moon, the magnification is too high on mine to get much in and this is without a barlow.

Will post on the Astro-imaging page once I've put them on the Gallery.

Carole

Fay

Carole,

we must try & sort you out at Mikes. I do understand the frustration. I will bring my laptop camera & K3 disc, in case you want another version. That is if it is not a perfect night & I am in my garden. Bring your camera etc
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Jun 11, 2008, 10:48:27........That is if it is not a perfect night & I am in my garden......

It's an Imaging Session, you are supposed to be in MY garden !!!!!   :evil:

Fay

Oh sorry Mike. As we only get 2 clear nights once in a blue moon, I always feel obliged to get my stuff out in my garden, as there is too much to load up & take to your garden. It would have to be really good for me to do that & so it does not happen very often.
I'm sure I will see you Friday, was just preparing Carole just in case...................

Fay

Mike

Fay

Mike, I am one of your most regular customers, see you Friday

Mike

We had a record 15 people at last nights session!

Carole

Many thanks once again Mike.  I managed to thrash a few problems out with your's, Fay's and other people's help.

Carole