• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M83 The Southern Pinwheel Galaxy.

Started by A.S.I.G.N_Baz, Apr 30, 2008, 01:12:05

Previous topic - Next topic

A.S.I.G.N_Baz

G'day!

About a month ago, I spotted this little beauty and thought I would have a crack at it. I got 34 minutes at ISO 1600 and was faily impressed.

Last night the mercury plummeted to minus 2 degrees celcius so I donned the extra four layers of clobber and headed back out into the dome.

I had left the camera on the scope in the same orientation as a month ago so it would all stack neatly and proceeded to capture another hour of exposure at ISO 800.

Using Deep Sky Stacker, I stacked both sessions together for a total of 1hour 34 minutes. Here is the comparitive result.

All images taken with an unmodified Canon 400D on a Celestron Nexstar 11 GPS, focal reduced to F6.3. Guided manually via piggybacked Skywatcher ED 80 and Modified ToUcam.

Thanks for looking!

Baz.

Daniel

Wow, really nice, encouraging to see it done on an unmodified DSLR, only dissapointment is that it'll always be way too low in the sky for me to image unless i can find a very flat site to image from, maybe something for the next deep sky camp, although im not even sure that would be unobstructed enough for this one!

RobertM

Hey Baz,

A Very nice image and that's pretty impressive for manual guiding.  How the hell did you manage to concentrate on one star for so long ?  I'd imagine you woke the following morning with a star and crosshair image imbedded in your retina ;)

Maybe you could think about becoming our 'Orpington South' Observatory ?  We'd be the only UK Society with global coverage !

It's great to see new objects that we'd not otherwise get a chance for so keep em coming.

Robert

JohnP

Yep - very nice - quite a weird shaped spiral... I'm impressed that your kit didn't shift at all in over a month....

Cheers,  John

doug

A brilliant image, Baz.   I would give anything to be able to see those southern skies; the only way I can is people such as yourself showing us these images.  It`s certainly got the wow factor and please lets have some more.  Did you say minus two Celsius?  Bloody nora, mate, that`s real chilly !!!  I don`t yet do imaging, only observing, and I have the greatest respect for those who do.  Carry on the good work. :D
Always look on the bright side of life ...