• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M81/M101 now I've got guiding working again.

Started by RobertM, Apr 01, 2008, 23:26:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Fay

Robert what program & camera do you use for guiding?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

RobertM

Fay, you're very kind but do me too much credit, the computer does all the work these days !

Fay

Your guiding looks spot on Robert.

I have been in the garden, tonight, waiting for a miracle. Waste of time!!! Back indoors now, so much I want to try out etc etc

RobertM

Miracles do happen so don't give up !  I'm visiting Kelling Heath tonight as I'm holiday that way but the forecast is bleak so I'll certainly be praying for one. 

Funnily the guiding is one thing I'm not so happy with, it's good when working but it looses the guide star from time to time.  I think the QHY5 is just too noisy to get a consistent lock with all this LP, I'd prefer a cooled camera for guiding.

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Apr 04, 2008, 22:12:15I have been in the garden, tonight, waiting for a miracle. Waste of time!!!

Shouldn't have wimped out of Deep Sky Camp we had clear skies ;)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Fay

I didn't wimp out & I'm not a wuss.
I evaluated the weather situation & decided it would not be good enough to come down. If I camped, it would have to be for 2 nights because otherwise it is not worth the effort.
I don't like coming down & then driving home, I am not good at driving in the dark, seeing that I have never thought of putting the headlights beams full on, & you can't relax when you know that you have that drive in front of you.

Sky could not have been that good as John could only get 2x3 mins. of M51. I was in the garden & saw ISS go over but mostly cloudy & was not prepared to stay up until the early hours.
I was in the undecided part & would have let you know if I had made a definite decision. I would have bought my own meal down as you may not have been prepared for an extra one at the last minute.

Mike

OK my wink smiley seems to be a bit hard to see. is this one better... ?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Apr 06, 2008, 14:21:20Sky could not have been that good as John could only get 2x3 mins. of M51.

I think that was down to technical issues rather than time constraints.

JohnP

Mike - it was combination of both... main issue as usual was guiding (PHD) but there just wasn't enough time between the clouds to do the tests.. everytime I was about to give it a try again phd would loose guide star due to clouds... I'm sure if phd worked straight off for me I would have got a few more subs... Trying to guide on a 'HOT PIXEL' for 1/2 hr or so didn't help either... doh :-( I put that down to the Stella...!!!

It was all good fun though.. As you know yourself you didn't bother setting up the imaging kit on the friday night because of the on/off conditions...

Cheers,  John

Mike

Quote from: JohnP on Apr 06, 2008, 19:20:07....As you know yourself you didn't bother setting up the imaging kit on the friday night because of the on/off conditions....

That was mainly due to the fact i'm too bloody lazy.

Rocket Pooch

Very nice image Robert, I'm now trailing behind you and John so I suppose a trip somewhere dark is in order to get something up for this year.  If only work did not get in the way of astronomy...........

Chris

P.S. Looks like the mount is working ok :-)

RobertM

Yes, the new mount does seem to work ok.  Dark skies would definitely help though - know of any decent spots ?

Fay

The only place could be the North Pole, at the moment!

Rick

It's past the equinox, so you'll have a long wait for nightfall at the North Pole. It's the South Pole you want... ;)

Fay

Just testing to see if you were alert, well done!