• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

M81/M101 now I've got guiding working again.

Started by RobertM, Apr 01, 2008, 23:26:38

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertM

I think these are the first anyone has posted since Johns handful on the 9th March.  Need a few more clearish evenings to finish M101 off though.

I had planned to capture about 10 subs of M101 but there was a sharp metalic noise outside and the next frame had star trails so was useless (not quite sure what did happen) then the clouds rolled in....

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10031/Messier81-0XXlum300.jpg

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10031/Messier101-0XXlumXX0_reduced.jpg

Mike

Very nice images Robert. Stars are nice and sharp.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

They're looking good - the guiding is certainly performing well.  I agree M101 needs more data.

What camera are you using?  And any light pollution filter?

JohnP

Both very nice Robert - especially like the m81 - m101 is a very tough object - really low surface brightness..

Like Mike said it would be great if you could give a quick summary of scope/ camera & number/ length of subs when posting an image - So many people post now & setups etc. are always changing its hard to keep track of who images with what...

Great images though - John

RobertM

Thanks Guys, I was a bit desperate to get something going after all the bad weather, wind and cloud.  There was a fair amount of high cloud so it wasn't particularly clear but enough to get something that turned out ok.  Background noise was a problem in both images, I really need a dark site !

Equipment in both cases was Celestron C9.25@F6.3, Starlight-Xpress SXV-H9 unbinned with Baader Neodymium filter for LP.

M81 - 18 x 300s - as far as I could go without saturating the galaxy core
M101 - 2 x 900s - wanted to push the boat out a little as I know it can be a tricky object.

Funny but since I changed my dew shield to a kendrick I've not had to use the dew heater once.

John, I'd had a crack at M81 before but it was dissapointing and wanted to do it again.  Then your image came along and set the benchmark so I had to try to make it half decent.  I'm pleased with the final result but I've still got a long way to go, especially in post processing.

Robert

Rick

They look good. Please consider moving them to the main gallery.

Tony G

Robert,

Two great images, especially M81,.......................... I need to get a CAMERA........................ :cry:.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

RobertM

Thanks Tony, it certainly helps having a camera.  If you're after one then it might be worthwhile looking at one of the two new Atik cameras, 1/2" format but the same res as mine.

Rick,  I'll put the full res M81 in the main gallery tonight, M101 is still work in progress but I'll post when ready.

Rick

Fay

Robert, nice to see that rare occurance, new images! Can't believe you found a clear bit of sky!

They are very nice, both of which I need to do soon. My M81 was not very good & I have never done M101.
Waiting for a good sky!

I too think that John's M81 is the benchmark!
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

JohnP

Robert - i'm sure if you are getting images that good from light polluted skies you'll get suberb images from a dark sky site.. I was fortunate that I took my m81 from my mother's house which is probably mag 6 or better - it still wasn't ideal though - kinda misty....

Cheers.  John

RobertM

Full res image posted in the gallery http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10031/Messier81-0XXlum300-2_copy.jpg

John, Yes the light polluted skies were a real problem, the background ADU was about 4500 in the calibrated M81 image.  Looking at your image you definitely win on the fainter outer edges and I think I would expect that given the better skies.  Wow mag 6 or better, now if only we could get another blackout :)

Fay

Robert, really really nice, you did well there.

RobertM

Thanks Fay, I just now need to get the processing sorted ! Here's my first crude try using MaximDL DDP processing.

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10031/Messier81-0XXlum300_p2.jpg

Fay

Robert you are certainly a force to be reckoned with!!  Fantastic image!!!!!!!!