• Welcome to Orpington Astronomical Society.

News:

New version SMF 2.1.4 installed. You may need to clear cookies and login again...

Main Menu

Who is going to Deep Sky Camp - Friday 4th April ?

Started by Mike, Mar 30, 2008, 13:25:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

MarkS

www.meteoblue.com is generally pretty good.  It predicts some clear skies for DSC but bad seeing:  the jetstream is the main problem.

Ian

now I understand it, I like Meteoblue. But for me it's a moot point. I've checked again and my daughters birthday hasn't moved and all of her friends are coming to her party so I won't be able to make it as expected.

Disappointing numbers mind...

Fay

I have gone outside for the last couple of nights, Mark. At times clear but bad seeing. Lot of dew as well, last night.
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Daniel

Hi All, Im hoping to come this weekend, will probably only be able to do one night but will be coming with my girlfriend (she got me into the astronomy in the first place) and my mate (who's got the transport) Is the field easy enough to find as we'll probably have to come after everyones intrenched and find the place ourselves. As far as food, me and Laura are veggies, so no worries there, we'll see what we can make on our stove (didn't actually get to use it at glastonbury, so quite excited by this).

Anyway, hope you all brace yourselves for lots of questions, mainly on polar alignment and auto tracking.

Hopefully see you all this weekend

Daniel
:O)

Mike

Daniel,

The field is easy to find if you follow the directions on the OAS website. Once you get there, if it is dark, you might find it difficult to locate the gate. You don't want the gate down the side of the main house, but the one in the hedge near the corner of the road. If you do arrive after dark and it is a clear sky then please come in on foot to speak to use before bringing your vehicle in as we may be out imaging and your headlights would ruin the images. If it is during daylight then it is fine.

We look forward to seeing you whatever time you arrive and will be more than happy to answer your questions. We already have a few veggies in the society so you won't be alone. However, the ability to drink copious quantities of alcohol is a requirement.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. Carl Sagan

Mike

Guys, if you have't already, please register your vote at the top. You are able to change your vote afterwards if your situation changes.

Daniel

I've put myself down as an undecided, just because It all relies on my mate being able to take us over there, aside from being a veggie, me and laura don't drink either (killjoy eh?) but fortunately my mate can drink enough for both of us and is quite the party animal, so He'll be representing us in the drinking stakes!

Is there a post code to the site as we'd be able to use GPS to get there?

Tony G

TN26 3EH

This is the Pig Pens between the house and the field where they store the fire extinguishers. this is the nearest postcode.

Tony G
"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me Superman." - Homer Simpson

Fay

Has anyone thought that it may be a good idea to change the April DSC to May  for a better chance of good weather?
It is healthier to be mutton dressed as lamb, than mutton dressed as mutton!

Mac

if you want lat and long for the camp site its..
51 8' 46" N
0 43' 40" E

Mike

Quote from: Fay on Apr 02, 2008, 15:43:34
Has anyone thought that it may be a good idea to change the April DSC to May  for a better chance of good weather?

You do realise this is England we are talking about?

Carole

Fay,

In years gone by that would have been a good idea, but seasons are all topsy turvey these days.  I seem to recall last year we had a heatwave in March and then rubbish weather until about August.....(or was that the year before), anyway, can't rely on the weather like we used to - anywhere on the planet it seems - we just had 42 degrees in Egypt first week of March (normally 24 degrees), while parts of the caribbean are having thunder storms and rain in the dry season.

Carole

Ian

that'll be them pesky aliens again Carole  :cheesy:

doug

Rose and I are going to try to get down there, even if it`s only to sample your `Scouse` which sounds good.  I have to try to remember where Tuesnoad is on the map? if I can find it on the map. So hope to see you all there.  ;)
Always look on the bright side of life ...